Buckscorider

NJ Mahi this weekend?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on targeting Mahi off of Monmouth County this weekend?

Not a bad plan or waste of time? 

My understanding is water temperature is important and we'll plan to stay within 20 miles. 

No clue. Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

The inshore season is starting to wind down.  I'm on Long Island, and have made my last mahi trip for the year.

Still, water temperature is still 71 degrees at the weather buoy south of Islip, Long Island,  which is warm enough to hold some fish.  And a friend had some quality mahi last week.

If I was going to make a trip, I'd probably start out trolling, pulling smaller jets, feathers, etc. and something flat-faced farther back in the pattern (I like the old Moldcraft L'il Hookers, although I don't think they're still available; I'm living on my previously-acquired horde).  That way, even if the mahi aren't around, you'll probably have some action with false albacore, maybe school bluefin (I'm assuming you have an HMS permit(, etc.

Then I'd go looking for lobster buoys, float, etc. that you can cast to.

You're definitely pushing the season, but there could still be a few around.  Whether it's a waste of time if you don't find mahi depends on whether you run into any other targets of opportunity, and how you feel about just having a day offshore,.

Edited by CWitek

if i was looking for mahi this weekend east of monmouth county i’d head strait to the mud hole with a 5 gal bucket full of peanuts to toss at pots as i worked my way SE towards monster ledge.

as stated above - its getting to be the end of the mahi season - so be opportunistic.  i’d def bring light trolling gear and look for potential school bft, albies.  there should be some schools of splashing fish under birds that could even be bonito (very tasty!).

@CWitek thanks for all the info, will troll@nicknotsebastian

Thanks and I'm checking on that permit. I think my buddy with the boat did get one. He's somewhat new to the boat scene too.

@makorider I'm a newbie, not sure exactly what you mean or how to know!

I appreciate all your help!!

please do be sure to have all necessary safety gear.  remember - outside of even 10 miles you may have zero cell service etc.

have accessible all required gear.  musts include a good radio and backup handheld waterproof radio, a plb, an epirb, life preservers, a raft, etc.

20-30 miles offshore is far if things go bad - and everything is fine until it isn't.

you need to be prepared to alert that you are in trouble and take care of yourself until help arrives - including possibly without anymore boat and anything that was attached to it.

1 hour ago, nicknotsebastian said:

please do be sure to have all necessary safety gear.  remember - outside of even 10 miles you may have zero cell service etc.

have accessible all required gear.  musts include a good radio and backup handheld waterproof radio, a plb, an epirb, life preservers, a raft, etc.

20-30 miles offshore is far if things go bad - and everything is fine until it isn't.

you need to be prepared to alert that you are in trouble and take care of yourself until help arrives - including possibly without anymore boat and anything that was attached to it.

Thanks man it is a concern.

The boat has an Epirb but I don't know the status of any needed updates or registration. I'm going to have to look into that. The new captain I'm going with hasn't! Not sure why.

I'll be wearing an inflatable life jacket at all times. There is no raft or handheld radio.

Boat radio will be checked.

The good news is weather will be on the mild side tomorrow.

I welcome any and all tips, feedback, advice etc.

Thanks!!

Edited by Buckscorider

Heading further out tomorrow in search of mahi and hopefully a couple tuna. We'll be looking to spear them on the pots/buoys rather than rod and reel. We did really well 3 weeks ago but the pots were hit or miss. The pots in deeper water near the Glory Hole were best.

We had dead peanuts and some fish were interested but if you really want to see them go crazy bring some live ones. So fun to have your buddy throw a couple right at you and watch the fish charge them.

BX4Q0143.jpg

6 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

@makorider I'm a newbie, not sure exactly what you mean or how to know!

I appreciate all your help!!

He’s talking about cloudy green water, which tends to be anathema to offshore fish.

Clear blue water is best, although mahi will tolerate clear green.

if you’ve got some 3/4 oz Creek Chub poppers, bring them along.  I found the mahi responding to them better than they did to bucktails this year (I don’t fish bait for them, but as others have noted, peanut bunker will light them up).

4 hours ago, surfcityNJ said:

Heading further out tomorrow in search of mahi and hopefully a couple tuna. We'll be looking to spear them on the pots/buoys rather than rod and reel. We did really well 3 weeks ago but the pots were hit or miss. The pots in deeper water near the Glory Hole were best.

We had dead peanuts and some fish were interested but if you really want to see them go crazy bring some live ones. So fun to have your buddy throw a couple right at you and watch the fish charge them.

BX4Q0143.jpg

Very cool! Good luck!

1 hour ago, nicknotsebastian said:

i believe giants on bunker.  can’t even target them tomorrow.  not because its closed effective yesterday but because its an rfd regardless.

What? Why cant they be targeted? Rfd?

Edited by Buckscorider

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

He’s talking about cloudy green water, which tends to be anathema to offshore fish.

Clear blue water is best, although mahi will tolerate clear green.

if you’ve got some 3/4 oz Creek Chub poppers, bring them along.  I found the mahi responding to them better than they did to bucktails this year (I don’t fish bait for them, but as others have noted, peanut bunker will light them up).

I think this is a creek chub yes?

Thanks for the tip!

20210924_185722.jpg