Joe G

Another fish kill

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Yep....yesterday.....Mystic River.....thousands of dead pogies on the shore at the Amelia Earhart Dam in Somerville.

Massive die off..,,,,.happened twice over the last four years.

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Yep....yesterday.....Mystic River.....thousands of dead pogies on the shore at the Amelia Earhart Dam in Somerville.

Massive die off..,,,,.happened twice over the last four years.

I bet they find some dead bluefish and bass among the mass. It sounds like to many fish in one area and they used up all the oxygen in the water Peace and Prayers

Might be the excessive rain. Streams and rivers have been unusual high for this time of year.

I've heard of some other fish kills and heard some oysters had to be rescued from low oxygen levels in a Cape river.

5 hours ago, bdowning said:

I bet the smell is lovely.

The Boston Globe describes it as a malodorous stench that is wafting into the residences, restaurants and retailers near Assembly Row.  

No doubt The Encore in Everett is also enjoying the experience.  :laugh:

Millions of bait fish died in Redondo Beach's King Harbor in 2011.  Best guess is that they entered the harbor, used up all the oxygen and died.  The smell was breathtaking.

King Harbor.jpg

Same thing used to happen in Plymouth Harbor every summer, back in the 1980s. Driven into the inner harbor shallows by bluefish, where they quickly deplete the oxygen. It was worth the drive there from the Canal to scoop up some fresh dead ones for bait. 

I remember some nights when you could grab a bucket of pogies, head out on the breakwater, cut one up, cast, and have a blue on before your sinker ever touched bottom. They were that thick. 

Been fishing this every other day for a couple weeks. I tried last night with a mask on and had to leave within 5 minutes. Gotta find a new spot now lol