Heavy Seas

Breezy Point / Fort Tilden Public Parking?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Live in and fish NJ, thinking about extending my fluke season for one more weekend (it ended 9/19 here) and trying Breezy/Fort Tilden. Never fished there before but pulled up google maps to try and figure out the parking situation.

Can anyone provide some advice? From what I can tell there is free public parking in Fort Tilden near the soccer fields. I was thinking to park here and then walk to Beach 169th Street where I can make my way to the beach. I'm not seeing any parking closer to the tip.

PM's welcome - thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Heavy Seas said:

Live in and fish NJ, thinking about extending my fluke season for one more weekend (it ended 9/19 here) and trying Breezy/Fort Tilden. Never fished there before but pulled up google maps to try and figure out the parking situation.

Can anyone provide some advice? From what I can tell there is free public parking in Fort Tilden near the soccer fields. I was thinking to park here and then walk to Beach 169th Street where I can make my way to the beach. I'm not seeing any parking closer to the tip.

PM's welcome - thanks in advance.

Those soccer fields will be most likely used, they get pretty crowded on the weekend. Otherwise, parking is really through the gateway parking pass or a Breezy resident pass. 

19 mins ago, i_like_poppers said:

Those soccer fields will be most likely used, they get pretty crowded on the weekend. Otherwise, parking is really through the gateway parking pass or a Breezy resident pass. 

Ok, If I can find parking in Fort Tilden though near the church/soccer fields, is that public parking? Do the gates open/close at a certain time?

On 9/23/2021 at 0:17 PM, Heavy Seas said:

Ok, If I can find parking in Fort Tilden though near the church/soccer fields, is that public parking? Do the gates open/close at a certain time?

I think you need some kind of sticker for that area of Tilden.  The only public parking over there is Riis.

Tilden to Breezy is a serious hike. I think you can park at Tilden without a pass after Sept 15th or something like that. Not sure about gates, but I’ve been there after dark for sure with no issue. Try calling the Gateway service number. 

I ended up parking at Riis and walking south. Did not make it all the way. I reached a certain point where there was a private property no trespassing sign and turned back. 

Water was stained and weedy. Plenty of cocktail blues around but no fluke for me. 

13 hours ago, Heavy Seas said:

Oh yea. Also encountered some nude beach goers. 

they've only been topless for me (not much to look at either).  been fishing there pretty much all summer.

I fished Breezy regularly until I moved to Jersey over 30 years ago. Just so you know, you can pass by private beach property as long as you are seaward of the mean high water mark as it is considered public land. No one will call the cops on you if you are just passing through, even at high tide.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:49 PM, chuckbucktail said:

Tilden to Breezy is a serious hike. I think you can park at Tilden without a pass after Sept 15th or something like that. Not sure about gates, but I’ve been there after dark for sure with no issue. Try calling the Gateway service number. 

They changed that this year apparently, i went there last night and they have a sign posted that you now need a permit at all times. 

Need the permit now, at least in the lots listed in the website.  Not sure if it's due to the pandemic or just being written up in the beach-goer media, but Tilden got insanely busy with beach-goers.  Every possible parking spot is being taken and despite increased enforcement it's still insane.  I see a lot of families getting the permit and don't wet a line.  There's one spot facing the bay that's popular with a religious group that likes to leave their strollers right by the start of the path and when I drag a kayak through there they look at me funny when I'm like move your kid.  I can't imagine what it would be like if the ferry was running, thank goodness for NPS being slow to open the dock.  And forget about parking in 223, it's filled every time, unless it's crappy out or at night.  Been doing a LOT of walking this year. 

Funny with the "clothing optional" beach, I thought with the younger crowd it might be a sight to see, but it's worse than the Moses lighthouse beach.  Avert your gaze or you'll be tossing up your "breezy dogs" in no time!

I've fished breezy a lot and it's a hike. But for the permits, you always needed it for the fishing parking lot and 4x4 they just put the signs because people weren't following the rules and just parking where ever and it pissed a lot for the people who had valid permits and NPS got a lot of complaints and people wanted more enforcement of the area. It was a mess during the 2020 season because you would have people who had permits left without a spot to park and they pay for it and you see lots of cars without permits which if enforcement does come around it a hefty ticket.  But I used to uber to the parking lot and lug my gear to the jetty and uber back in the past that's an option too.