Mr. Bigdeal

9/21....40 years.

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Almost the 40th Anniversary of the day Albert McReynolds was fishing from an Atlantic City jetty Sept. 21, 1982 and caught then the world record 78.8-pound striped bass......let us not forget NJ.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Read about that catch at least once before. Just read some more of the details: 

He had a surf rod, supposedly a Penn 710 reel, 20 lbs mono line, and a 5.5” silver Rebel.

You know….

• toss aside the state of the fishery (debatable? I’m no expert & the 80s had lean times)
  • Swap the mono line instead for braid,
  • ….and surfcasting hasn’t changed all that much in 40 years. 

As for the world outside of surf fishing, for the better and for the worse, I think it’s fair to say it could hardly be more different than it was 40 years ago. 

There have been threads about McReynolds before on SOL, and there's a lot of info about his life after the record catch, truly a sad story.  I spent a little time with him in Brigantine in the late 90's at a bait & tackle shop on the island. He was gracious and forthcoming with good info about targeting bass, and if it weren't for a treble stuck in my hand later that day I would have enjoyed an overnight fishing with him and his son Tom.

RIP Al.

8 hours ago, fishless said:

What's incorrect about it?

2021-1982= 39. It only popped in my head because I was born in 1980 and I am 41. I honestly wish I didn’t post anything because it is close enough and still an unbelievable catch. 

1 hour ago, Weaver1 said:

2021-1982= 39. It only popped in my head because I was born in 1980 and I am 41. I honestly wish I didn’t post anything because it is close enough and still an unbelievable catch. 

Gotcha.  I did pickup on that but I thought you were suggesting the month or day of the month was off.  All good.  Accuracy is important.  

6 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

....only when your weighing fish.

Agree. Not for anything in the boudoir, obviously.

I mean, as long as gender & species have been previously documented & verified. Another way things have changed since Al’s record catch. (Although AC has been a different kind of place for a long time.)