beret

Wood Chip Use

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Unfortuneatly just had to have three Marshall Seedless Ash trees cut down in our yard due to the EAB. I have about 15 yards of chips that I would like to use around the house , paths, sitting areas, etc. Any issues to worry about. I always prep the area first and treat for insects prior to using any mulch type product and again after I put it down. I have been advised no worries.......just looking for any additional feedback. Thanks.

Don't use chips within about 10 ft of the house. Fresh chips consume nitrogen so if you use in flower beds sprinkle a slow release fertilizer within.

No you're fine to do whatever you like with them. As long as the chips aren't huge, there won't be enough wood for the EAB larva to survive in.

As far as using it for mulch the ISA is changed their standards 2-3 years ago to recommend using wood chips as mulch for trees and such based on the research from Linda Chalker Scott and her team out of Washington State. 

37 mins ago, SB59 said:

Don't use chips within about 10 ft of the house. Fresh chips consume nitrogen so if you use in flower beds sprinkle a slow release fertilizer within.

The chips will not be near any flower beds and we have a concrete base around our house that is 4 ft. The EAB would not be an issue per the arborist and chips too small/thin for any termite concerns.

11 hours ago, beret said:

The chips will not be near any flower beds and we have a concrete base around our house that is 4 ft. The EAB would not be an issue per the arborist and chips too small/thin for any termite concerns.

Different chinese epidemic. Ash makes good heat, I'd burn them if you have a stove

Wood chips are very valuable in South Carolina.

They use them as a odor preventative in their outhouses down there.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:18 AM, richie c said:

Different chinese epidemic. Ash makes good heat, I'd burn them if you have a stove

Yeah.......kept everything 12" diameter and over and all logs cut 18" or less. We got several cords worth plus the 15 yrs of nice mulch. We do have a stove that is used daily all winter plus a fireplace......unfortunately the ash will be next year's wood.

If you use wood chips under trees, just don't "volcano mulch" up to the trunk. No more than an inch or 2 deep around 5 ft away from the base. The roots need to breathe. I found an Asplundt group cutting down trees near power lines around the corner from my house, asked them to drop a load off. It was probably about 20 yards! I put it all around my shed and wood shed as the ATV I use for chores was digging up the dirt, esp when it was wet. This looks nice and hopefully will keep the weeds down.