Pescador710

RI state record list

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So I was taking a peak at the RI saltwater state records list and I have a few questions.

1.) Why is False Albacore not on the state records list? 

it is on the “notable catch list” but not a valid state record. However more unusual species like king mackerel and F***ing Tiger shark are valid state records. 

The “notable catch” albie is only 12 lbs 5 oz. I’m guessing there have been a few caught that were bigger than that but seeing as RI doesn’t recognize albies as a record, they’re just fish stories.

2.) What exactly is the state’s definition of a notable catch anyway?

3.) What is the difference between bonito and green bonito?

Apparently, a 16 inch, 14 pound green bonito caught in January of ‘91 made the notable catch list while a 13 pound bonito is recognized as the state record.

4.) For a state literally (and I mean “literally” literally) filled by waters holding some of the northeast’s best fishing opportunities, why is the state record program such a mess?

Posted (edited) · Report post

This guy was a hair short of 30", it died by the time I was able to land it.

Didnt find out it broke the state record until after my dad ate it.

68950113_2698220260200908_4905635336807251968_n-1.jpg

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

58 mins ago, z-man said:

It’s strange that albies aren’t on the record list. Also isn’t a green bonito the same fish as a regular bonito?

Yes. Green Bonito is another name for Atlantic Bonito. I've often heard captains from MV and Nantucket refer to them as Green Bonito. 

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I don't know what a green bonito is but at 16 inches, that was one fat fish to weigh 14 lbs!

Also, am I reading this correctly? It was caught in "Jan. 91"??

Come on, that has to be another mistake 

Green bonito (sometimes spelled green bonita) may get that name because most are caught as a by product while tuna fishing in deeper water. That's my guess.

This albie weight out at 19 lbs. on the Boga Grip before being released alive.

You don't need a scale or measurement to know it's well over 12 pounds.

IMG_2605.JPG

16 hours ago, rst3 said:

Also, am I reading this correctly? It was caught in "Jan. 91"??

Come on, that has to be another mistake 

Well a 16 inch, 14 lb toad of a green bonito caught off Block island in January is certainly a notable catch. So, they got one thing right

Edited by Pescador710

Check out the cobia and Mahi up tight to ri shore in August 95. That must have been a bug push of warm water there. Had small Mahi off Newport but 30lbs is impressive. 

7 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Check out the cobia and Mahi up tight to ri shore in August 95. That must have been a bug push of warm water there. Had small Mahi off Newport but 30lbs is impressive. 

In my lifetime I’ve seen a grouper caught off Sachuest Point and 70 pound Tarpon off the Goat Island Causeway.  Gulf Stream brings some crazy stuff. 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:08 PM, z-man said:

It’s strange that albies aren’t on the record list. Also isn’t a green bonito the same fish as a regular bonito?

Yes - green bonito just happens to be what folks in RI and CT call these fish. But they are atlantic bonito

As far as record albies - there are fish caught in the high teens every year here in all new england states. But the average size seems to be roughly half that. Heck, I had a day earlier this season (Aug 31) where I was catching smallish 4-5 lb albies and couldn't get one over that

Edited by albacized

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 7:59 PM, DZ said:

In my lifetime I’ve seen a grouper caught off Sachuest Point and 70 pound Tarpon off the Goat Island Causeway.  Gulf Stream brings some crazy stuff. 

In my lifetime I've seen a pole dancer catch a "C" Note in mid air.

Money brings them in.

Edited by Capt.Castafly