mike1010

Way, way off-topic: hearing aid batteries

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Have any of you hearing aid users noticed that batteries don't last as long as they used to?

I've had a pair of Phonak hearing aids for a few years.  They aren't entirely worthless, which seems to be what you can hope for from hearing aids.  For the last few months, though, they have been chewing through batteries at a great rate.  Instead of 7 days from a pair (p312, BTW), I might get as little as a few hours, or might get a full week, or anything in between.  Phonak said that this could happen if the amplifiers are going, or if the contacts are dirty.  I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl, but the situation is unchanged.

Before I spring for new hearing aids, I would like some confidence that my current ones are at fault, and that I am not looking at a decline in battery quality.  (Seems like all or most batteries are made by the same company, just re-labeled.)

Yup this is not fishing-oriented, but not the first such post in this forum, and I hope the moderators will let it stand.

14 hours ago, mike1010 said:

Have any of you hearing aid users noticed that batteries don't last as long as they used to?

I've had a pair of Phonak hearing aids for a few years.  They aren't entirely worthless, which seems to be what you can hope for from hearing aids.  For the last few months, though, they have been chewing through batteries at a great rate.  Instead of 7 days from a pair (p312, BTW), I might get as little as a few hours, or might get a full week, or anything in between.  Phonak said that this could happen if the amplifiers are going, or if the contacts are dirty.  I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl, but the situation is unchanged.

Before I spring for new hearing aids, I would like some confidence that my current ones are at fault, and that I am not looking at a decline in battery quality.  (Seems like all or most batteries are made by the same company, just re-labeled.)

Yup this is not fishing-oriented, but not the first such post in this forum, and I hope the moderators will let it stand.

I get my batteries from The VA and they do not last very long..  I may get two-three days at best.  I have tried the Rechargable Hearing aids but they often die when I need them most.  Must recharge, how/where if you are out of the house. Its best to carry a spare battery with you and go with battery powered HA and disregard the rechargable HA. BTW- I have Oticon HA. and use RayOVac size 312 batteries. I know your feeling well. Stay Safe & Good Luck.

sb

I have rechargeable, charge nightly. expensive( Z power) a pair go a year at $120 , when I use the other types, moisture, dampness sometimes 4 hours, sometimes 3 days.:rav:

Just received Oticon rechargeable hearing aids. One charge lasts about 20 hours. Prefer these to the last set of Oticons which required batteries. Purchased batteries at Costco. Batteries lasted 4 to 5 days but would die at inopportune times. One bad thing about batteries is recycling them. Twice a year I'd take about 2 cups of dead batteries to our town recycle center. 

Recommend rechargeable hearing aids.

Thanks for all the replies, but I guess my real question is:  Has anyone noticed that lifetimes of replaceable hearing aid batteries have dropped off significantly in the last year?

I used to get at least a week, reliably.  Now 0-7 days.

14 mins ago, ccb said:

Old batteries don’t last as long 

check the good to date on the package

That's not the issue, but thanks.  It happens with fresh, new batteries.

I have had two pairs of Phonak over the years.  Batteries last about six days . 
I would have them checked. 
they can rebuild them 

If five years old?  They have better technology today, 

Costco brand is Phonak

$1400.00 for a pair of Bluetooth Kirkland #10’s 

I have a pair of Starkey hearing aids from the VA with a 6 month supply of batteries. The supplied batteries are RayOVac batteries, they last for about 6 days. With the rechargables, if you're away from home and they die nothing you can do.  Its happened a couple of times when the batteries die and I am away from home (I have the replaceable batteries).  I just replace them with the spares I carry in my wallet.