gellfex

Rough afternoon on LI Sound, a 5 species day

16 posts in this topic

Damn, the forecast was off for yesterday afternoon. It was really blowing out there from the east, at least 15-20, which brought in some swells that had my bow diving under them. The only way to fish was to use the islands as wave blocks and anchor behind them. It was still productive for the porgies I was targeting. I needed some for the smoker, I'm out of smoked fish and I didn't get any blues this spring.

When the tide was halfway out the reefs finally appeared and I could hide behind them. As I was moving I saw what I thought was the heavy waves breaking on one of the reefs, a double take showed it was large breaking fish!  I grabbed my heavier setup rigged with a schoolbus chicken track bomber and nailed a 29" bass on the 2nd cast. I was disappointed it wasn't a blue, better for the smoker.

The wind and waves finally calmed down around 4:30, and it was pretty pleasant till I had to head back at 6 to my launch, which has a 7 pm closing. During the day I also had a short tog, short seabass and a cocktail blue hit my homemade 1/2oz swinghook bucktail tipped with squid. Fluke must be gone, on a previous trip I had tons of shorts hit it.  18 porgies 12-15" and the blue are in the brine, gonna smoke em up tomorrow. Still hoping to find some bigger blues this fall, I wasn't impressed with the way smoked tog turned out.

4 hours ago, gellfex said:

I had to head back at 6 to my launch, which has a 7 pm closing.

LOL

You didn't get ticket this time?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had a 5 species day in the western sound yesterday as well, sunny calm day (no sign of albies). I lost a stud weakfish right at the yak! It fought like a flailing wet noodle and it popped off right as I got a good look at it boatside. Hooked another smaller one and again the jig popped off. Also got into some fluke, a couple of seabass, porgies, and some robins.

Edited by tcal4404

5 hours ago, tcal4404 said:

I had a 5 species day in the western sound yesterday as well, sunny calm day (no sign of albies). I lost a stud weakfish right at the yak! It fought like a flailing wet noodle and it popped off right as I got a good look at it boatside. Hooked another smaller one and again the jig popped off. Also got into some fluke, a couple of seabass, porgies, and some robins.

That's why they call them weakfish. Weak mouths.

I'm on the Great South Bay; this is my first season w/ a yak. How do you outfit for October weather conditions? Do you use wet suits or just neoprene boots? Thank you.

19 mins ago, CBFish said:

I'm on the Great South Bay; this is my first season w/ a yak. How do you outfit for October weather conditions? Do you use wet suits or just neoprene boots? Thank you.

This is not a short discussion, and what's the best cold weather gear has been discussed many times on the site. Basically, to be safe you should dress like you're going to end up in the water. Consider the water temperature not the air temperature. That said, fall is easier than spring because the water is still warm. 

The gold standard for cool weather paddling is a dry suit. But that's a big investment.  A Farmer John wetsuit with a fleece and a splash top will take you into some of the cooler weather. I personally think wetsuit tops for paddling is a bad idea, but others disagree.

Thank you. My season would end mid-November at the latest and start late April at the earliest, but most probably it would be 1 May through October 31 , so I don't want to shell out $1k+ for a drysuit that I might not be able to wear or would end up sweating excessively in. 

1 hour ago, CBFish said:

Thank you. My season would end mid-November at the latest and start late April at the earliest, but most probably it would be 1 May through October 31 , so I don't want to shell out $1k+ for a drysuit that I might not be able to wear or would end up sweating excessively in. 

The kokatat gore suits seem to be a buy once and done kind of deal - many accounts of the company standing by their gore products basically for life. 

Spring is when you'll run into more problems with sweating...another reason to get goretex over the cheaper materials. 

9 hours ago, CBFish said:

the kokatat lightweight gore-tex suit i have has incredible breathability. helps with keeping you dry.

1 hour ago, kinghong1970 said:

the kokatat lightweight gore-tex suit i have has incredible breathability. helps with keeping you dry.

I'm a bit of a Gore skeptic. I mean, the patents are long expired and the competing products should be just as good, right? The Gore jackets I've had were not remarkable, and the Kokotat Hydrus breathable drygear I have is not impressive.  I guess it all depends, you can get soaked with sweat wearing a cotton hoodie or a nylon fleece if you sweat enough, so a Gore membrane can't keep you dry under ALL circumstances, it can only pass so much vapor.

I have found that the pfd reduces the  ability of the kokatat semi dry suit to breathe. It is unfortunate but to avoid over heating in the spring you may need to remove the pfd.

Not the safest choice but it could stop you from over heating. I had my semi dry suit from kokatat for 10 years. I sent it back to get checked out and was told it delaminated.

They sent me a new semi dry suit free of charge. This is a pretty good company in my book.

2 mins ago, dbjpb said:

I have found that the pfd reduces the  ability of the kokatat semi dry suit to breathe. It is unfortunate but to avoid over heating in the spring you may need to remove the pfd.

Not the safest choice but it could stop you from over heating. I had my semi dry suit from kokatat for 10 years. I sent it back to get checked out and was told it delaminated.

They sent me a new semi dry suit free of charge. This is a pretty good company in my book.

I know opinions vary but inflatable PFDs are an option for some. 

On 9/30/2021 at 9:34 AM, buddha162 said:

I know opinions vary but inflatable PFDs are an option for some. 

I've used them for sailing, especially for summer when it's hot. Only once had need of it & it inflated fine (and even then I was able to tread fine before the hydro valve popped it). The only drawback is that you need to replace the bobbins every 3 years on most. It's easy to forget about until that red indicator shows. 

On 9/30/2021 at 9:30 AM, dbjpb said:

What do you do for footwear w/ the semi-dry? Do you use neoprene boots or just over-sized regular water shoes?