Italianbuca

Old Stock Gibbs Needles - Question/Thoughts

25 posts in this topic

Hey All,

recently picked up some old stock Gibbs 1oz needlefish for cheap, some of the back bays I fish are very conducive to lighter weight needles especially wood, but before I tear open the packaging figured I would ask a couple questions for some opinions.

1) These are in great condition in the original packaging, any true value to these? Seem to be common but I'm no collector haha. 

2) Look to be screw eye's, I know that this is a never ending debate and I prefer through wire myself, but any known issue/commonality to the screw eyes pulling out from gibbs needles? 

3) Gibbs needles tend to be more of a floater/verrrrry slow sink correct?

also I'm open to any other feedback/input from anyone on these as well! I always appreciate and learning the history of old plugs. 

Thanks

-Luca

20210922_064854.jpg

20210922_064908.jpg

20210922_064918.jpg

20210922_065000.jpg

Of all the screw eye needles the Gibbs were perhaps the strongest.  If you feel you need to beef them up you can try and remove the screws, add epoxy to the threads, and reinstall.  Be cautious as they are old and the screws might be bound and not back out easily - they could break.  With the size fish we have presently I think they are fine as is.  They were  slow sink.  

thanks for the info guys. considering the locations I have in mind for where I plan to use these I figured screw eye should be fine (some fairly large fish have been caught with old technology haha), just figured I'd get some feedback! Good to know that the gibb's were on the more reliable side!

On 9/22/2021 at 10:07 AM, SPR61 said:

Caught plenty of fish on them years ago. Better when the ocean was calm.

X2 on these plus they also work well when fished as a PP. Re the screw eyes, I think the Buzzards Bay lures had something on the threads. If you want to improve the lure add split rings between the screw eye and hooks. Greatly reduces dropping fish that twist/thrash.

No clue on value, but there were made to fish.  Talke two out for a swim.  You may find that the fish catching abilities are worth the $10 extra dollars they may fetch in the BST.

12 hours ago, Italianbuca said:

Before I open up the packages and change hooks and fish them, any thoughts on if there's 'collector' value to these? 

Don't change the hooks.  They're probably Mustad 3X and cadmium/tinned before cadmium was banned. Great treble IMO. 

great info guys, thank you.

interesting @DZ, maybe ill just add split rings like someone mentioned to help with twisting/pullout but re-use the hooks (i.e. bend the cuthook open or cut them myself) I will change the rear treble to a single siwash though, and save the hook for future use.

Don't be surprised if they break while attempting to open, more often they will. Even if successful the probability of future failure is extremely high, scrap them and replace with a short shank replacement.

Why do anything to them fish them as they are. I still have 35 new in the package and fish them all the time with no failures. Hooks, screw eyes and the plug itself is strong and well made. Not as common as John’s other size needlefish but not rare. They were made a number of years. I first see them listed in 1984 and 1985 and a number of years after that. When John sold the business in 89 they do not show in the new owners catalog just not sure what year they were dropped. 

they sell for $12 to $20 each and a bargain at that. The lower end of the range is what you paid on eBay. 

they really are not collectible at least the are not valuable. I tend to collect a number of things and I color collected these and the 1.75. 

these are great fish catchers and my favorite needle in calm water back bays  and rivers. I live on the Delaware River and is my favorite bait to fish. I have taken fish to 20# with no problem and no failures. 

Fish them they are great

pictured is my meager color collection of 1oz needlefish and Gibbs product display case from 1985 or 86. It includes all three sizes of Gibbs needlefish 

3B512E66-6DA8-4297-BB6B-C7C0096E734E.jpeg

C517A1E4-E0E2-4E23-AD2C-0935FE0631B0.jpeg