DeepBlue85

Youtube question

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm really curious about some of the content I run into on youtube.  Some of it seems remarkably well produced while other stuff amounts to little more than a talking head narrating what the viewer can clearly see he's doing coupled with unscripted excitment when a fish is caught.  My question for those who do the youtube thing is why do you feel the necessity to broadcast your life's adventures? Legitimate question if you think I'm being facetious, what's the motivation to spend money and time on perfecting your craft of recording your self? Do you truly feel your life's accumulated knowledge justifies a channel to gift us all with your experience? If so then great, curious what tangible information you feel you convey to the viewer.  If education isnt your thing then my other question is why else would you put your face and reputation into the public eye as well as the places and times you choose to make public to viewers?  The first question I asked potentially influences the second question and ultimately speaks to your overall reasoning for your youtube publications. Why is it that most every youtuber who presumably feels their knowledge is worth broadcasting along with their face, hasnt written a book or contributed to a noteworthy column? With the exception of obvious fishermen who pioneered youtube fishing........I would truly love some legitimate dialogue regarding the questions asked because any viewer should reflect why it is they choose to spend their own valuable time watching someone else do something they could simply do them selves.

Edited by DeepBlue85

While I don't do Youtube myself, you will find that fishing channels have a great breadth of motivations. From educational to documentary to pinup girls to self promotion to competition to mindless clickbait. (If you aren't coming across different stuff its likely you are pigeonholed by the YouTube algorithm) To answer your question about writing, it's quite simple that writing doesn't pay in 2021. Most people who write fishing content do it for the love of it or for the feeling of accomplishment of seeing their work published (even if it cost them money to do so).

It's 2021. Most people would rather watch a video than read a book or a column. I watch videos almost every night on all kinds of fishing related topics. Like you mention, some are good and some are bad. 

Although I haven't done it yet I would love to start a channel. It would be aimed at all different types of fishing topics and educating anglers that are just starting out as well as entertaining for the seasoned folks. Why? I like to be helpful. Why haven't I? It takes a lot of work to make a worthy video. Multiple cameras, good sound quality, hours of editing, etc. It's a huge time commitment that I just don't have right now.

Youtube is invaluable for instructional videos such as fly casting, fly tying, learning how to repair or disassemble anything.

What kills me is the on-the-water footage from shore-based anglers that have zero regard for spot burning and safely releasing fish.  To be honest, as soon as I see a gopro strapped to somebody surfcasting, I have perhaps unfairly formed my opinion about them.  I would rather not fish my spot and potentially give up secrets, than to have them see me catch fish and return with their friends.  Additionally, if the intent is to promote or make money off exploiting an overfished fishery, then my disapproval increases.

I guess I could be getting old and stubborn, but am adamant that the ethics of surfcasting need to be restored and passed on to the youth.

Keep your light off the water.

Keep your yap shut about good fishing.

Don't spot burn.

Respect the environment, private landowners and your fellow anglers.

Leave the surf cleaner than you found it.

Self absorbed sociopath maniacs that think they’re more important than the next guy. Oh…and most of the ones on the come up live in mommy’s basement and pretend they make a living lol

47 mins ago, MikeK said:

To be honest, as soon as I see a gopro strapped to somebody surfcasting, I have perhaps unfairly formed my opinion about them. 

I wouldn’t assume everyone with a GoPro is planning to put footage on YouTube. I usually throw one on my kayak, as I often fish alone, to capture notable catches or interesting things that happen while I’m out. The only people who will see the pictures and video are me, my family and my fishing friends. A lot of times I don’t end up recording anything, but if I want to it’s just a matter of a quick voice command to start recording or take a picture, rather than fumbling with my phone or another camera. 

sometimes when i watch TV, i come across a channel that i derive nothing from. no enjoyment, no pleasure, no knowledge. it's programming that i absolutely despise.

after sitting there for hours, going through the torture of watching this mind-decaying refuse, my wife slaps me in the back of the head to 'reset' my brain and i remember that i have a remote control and can simply change the channel.

in a few more years, i might develop the critical thinking ability to realize that i can do the same with youtube. simply skip to the next video.

27 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Why do you post on Stripers Online?

Depends on my mood, someone like you can read between the lines in this thread but then again someone like you has more to say than the majority of others posting substancles utube videos.

Whether i contribute to a forum or choose to have a casual conversation with someone in person, it's to convey a message or information based solely on my opinion that what im choosing to convey is important enough to justify the effort.  Can you say the same about your content? The majority of utube generated personalities truly can not since money and fame trump their regard for the places they record.

Iv yet to see one utuber post a video of them selves conducting a clean up, attending an asmfc public hearing.....or doing any multitude of things a utuber may otherwise justify themselves with by giving back to the sport they use for their own gain, or their viewers for that matter.

The topic has been covered but so far your the only known utuber that chimed in here and as I suspected, didnt offer anything in the way of tangible info relating to the questions i asked.  While some videos might supply info and entertainment, there's a distinction between those who provide information using utube and those who simply enjoy what utube does to their sense of self, without regard for the impact on the fishing locations or their blatant lack of informative substance.  Feeling this is an important topic that ultimately benefits those who use utube for properly educational, entertaining and productive content, you should agree that that the irresponsible garbage out there by some local kids who only regurgitate  and sell ****, devalues the venue and ultimately others posting similar albeit better content, to those who might stand behind it, your videos included.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

I feel like I've seen this same thread topic pop up once every 6 weeks as of late.  Just use the search feature, you'll find pages of very recent dialog on this topic.

I don't understand why people don't just skip the video if they don't like it - or even go watch them at all.  

I have no idea of the intent/reason of the people posting them.  They could honestly think they are helping someone, maybe they have nothing better going on in life and they get some enjoyment, etc.  

I generally don't watch YT videos but ocasionally will search for a repair video to help me. 

Edited by PaulS