phoenixbass

Vanford 3000 with Lamiglas X-11 LX79MSGH

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Too small. Go with the 4000 or 5000. Going to lose a ton of distance as well as cranking power

OK, I'll put my 4000 Stradic on it. Think it's too light for 1/2 oz 4" Big Hammers?

5 mins ago, phoenixbass said:

OK, I'll put my 4000 Stradic on it. Think it's too light for 1/2 oz 4" Big Hammers?

Idk. I don’t own or know of that rod but based on the ratings you should be ok

27 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Get an fsc instead

Wow, those Edge Rods look awesome! Only problem is I'm looking for a 2 piece rod because I leave it in my car while I'm at work in San Francisco, and now days my car will get broken into if they can see the rod/reel. Ridiculous, I know.

Two comments...

1. Edge rods are very nice.  I have a 9'6 and a 12'3", but the lead time is horrendous!  My buddy has been waiting since March for his rod to arrive and still no sign of it.  I'm sure it depends on the rod, but some will have a very long lead time.
  2. SF thief stole/copied the RF signal to my car and let him/herself in.  Good news is they didn't break any windows.  Bad news is I lost 4 Daiwa BG10s.  I don't leave anything of value in my car anymore in SF.

11 hours ago, Mike Mendez said:

Two comments...

1. Edge rods are very nice.  I have a 9'6 and a 12'3", but the lead time is horrendous!  My buddy has been waiting since March for his rod to arrive and still no sign of it.  I'm sure it depends on the rod, but some will have a very long lead time.
  2. SF thief stole/copied the RF signal to my car and let him/herself in.  Good news is they didn't break any windows.  Bad news is I lost 4 Daiwa BG10s.  I don't leave anything of value in my car anymore in SF.

Mike, I came real close to buying a Edge rod... Which models do you have?... I have only handled them at the Fred Hall Show a few years back, but was really impressed... I wasn't there to buy a rod, but came close to doing just that... I have heard of the delivery problems... Sorry to the OP for the topic jack...

Butch

10 mins ago, phoenixbass said:

I'll probably end up with a cheapie Okuma Rockaway. I like the specs and the look, but I'm aways weary of rods that cheap. Are they decent?    8' 10-17lbs 1/2 - 1 1/2oz.

@Popasilov is a big fan of them.  He might have some insight for you.

7 hours ago, phoenixbass said:

I'll probably end up with a cheapie Okuma Rockaway. I like the specs and the look, but I'm aways weary of rods that cheap. Are they decent?    8' 10-17lbs 1/2 - 1 1/2oz.

Pops will chime in but I like the 2 Rockaways I have.

A12' 1-4? and a 10" 3/4-3 that I cut 6" off the butt. It zings 1.5oz tins.

The guides are cheap,but the blanks are good.

Another good cheap rod is the Tsunami Trophy 2 @8'6  but it is 70/30 split and bulky reel seat etc. Rated 1/2-1.5 oz

I put the Tsunami to the test last week with a BG 2500 and it landed a 25-30 Jack Crevalle,no complaints.

I also have a 7'6 Star Stellar surf rod that's a great bargain rod. Mine is 1piece but I think they make a 2 piece. They are great rods for the $ in my opinion.

Vanford is a true test light tackle reel, made for like 15 lb braid and freshwater bass fishing or other very light tackle applications, your not even supposed to albie fish with it apparently..

5 hours ago, liambrouillette said:

Vanford is a true test light tackle reel, made for like 15 lb braid and freshwater bass fishing or other very light tackle applications, your not even supposed to albie fish with it apparently..

I guess....? I caught plenty of 30" stripers on my old 3000 Stradic which seemed to handle just fine.

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, phoenixbass said:

I guess....? I caught plenty of 30" stripers on my old 3000 Stradic which seemed to handle just fine.

Yes totally normal light tackle reel for that, I think the vanford is more replacing the lighter stradic ci4. Try the vanford on your rod it will still work fine just maybe a little lighter weight. 

* edit that reel is a match for the rod you selected but I would continue browsing rods, maybe get one that’s heavier

Edited by liambrouillette

I've got an X11 8'6" 1/4-1oz with Shimano Ultegra 3000 and love it. (Typically used with 1/2oz hi-lo rig)

Also love my Okuma Rockaway 11' 1/2-2oz with Saragosa 6000. (Throws 5/8oz Luckycraft very well)

Fabulous combos, these are. Well balanced, light, can walk and cast all day long.