Oakman

Bathroom/Shower build out waterproof panel ?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So it's time to start moving forward on putting the second bathroom together in our home.  I demoed an old closet/pantry at the back of the house.  The rough space is 45" x 63", small to be sure but I'm used to the heads on boats so this will be larger than that.  Not worried about code, probably regret that if we ever sell but right now that's not a concern. Plan is to make the whole area the shower, pitch the entire floor to the back wall.  I've been looking at the Schluder products, I really like their Kerdi-Line linear drain, plan is to put that along the back wall and position the toilet just in front of it.  They even have a flexible shower "curb" which is designed for wheel chairs to roll over which I may employ, though I think the pitch on the floor will keep water from the doorway.  I've done plenty of old school tile work, shower pans and mortar beds, but I've never worked with products like the Kerdi boards.  Thoughts of this product?  Substitutes?   I like the lightweight aspect of the product very much as I would like to keep the overall weight of the installation as light as possible.  Thanks for your help.

I've done a couple of bathrooms with the schluter products. Don't do what I did the first time and cheap out by using the membrane stuff. Just buy the kerdi board and then you only have to membrane the seams. Applying the membrane to the entire surface is a real pain, definitely not worth the few dollars in savings. 

FWIW, the guy that did my parent's bathroom a few years ago swears by the schluter products. He says that he's used just about every waterproofing product on the market and they all work to some degree but schluter is the only one he's never had a call back on and he's been using them for years. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll check out the book and would definitely use the panels vs the membrane.  Still have to make the decision to go forward with shower or just go for ease and do only toilet and sink.  Way cheaper, but there are advantages to a second shower. . ..  I've really never heard a bad report on the Schluter products.

I will second what Finneus said above about the membrane versus the boards. Not from hands on experience, but just from what I saw last month. I was installing a big new kitchen for a GC, while he and his guy were doing the two showers in the baths. I installed the entire kitchen in three days, and the GC was still struggling to get the membrane right. 

Interesting, I didn't realize you could dispense with the membrane if you use the boards.  I think the shower book says to use membrane over the foam floor. I haven't actually used Kerdi yet, I ended up hiring a contractor rather than DIY, but I love Ditra, especially for building tile counters.

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

Interesting, I didn't realize you could dispense with the membrane if you use the boards.  I think the shower book says to use membrane over the foam floor. I haven't actually used Kerdi yet, I ended up hiring a contractor rather than DIY, but I love Ditra, especially for building tile counters.

THAT'S the beauty of the boards. . . 

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

I used the ditra on my bathroom floor with the heating element run through it. It was a bit pricey and a pain to figure out installation but so worth it on cold morning 

1 hour ago, Finneus said:

I used the ditra on my bathroom floor with the heating element run through it. It was a bit pricey and a pain to figure out installation but so worth it on cold morning 

One of my big regrets is not having an electric mat put under the tile in my upstairs bath. I thought such a small area wasn't worth it, but the bath has no heat otherwise. When I replace the carpet in the hall I might run a 20A electric line under the boards to wire a kickspace heater under the vanity cab. Either that or one of those overhead infrared units.