coolhandfluke

laptop gurus . need your opinion.

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

i have not had a pc at home for many years.  i have a laptop from work and another one that s around 10 years old that i had the cracked screen replaced about 5 years ago.

its pretty slow and had windows 8 on it.  really only use it to pay bills and to make my bike rides on base camp. wife uses it occasionally for other odds and ends.

would it be worth taking it somewhere and it brought up to todays tech or should i just purchase a new one ?.

if i purchase a new one, how would i go about transferring everything to the new unit ?

Considering your 10 year old PC is still running I wouldn't waste my money on a new laptop; this online/internet thing is probably just a passing fad...

You need to do brain transplant surgery on the old laptop. Investigate the motherboard chipset and find the fastest processor it will accept. Get that processor and swap out the old one.

Then find out how much RAM the new processor can manage on that motherboard. Max that out.

Should be good to go.

5 mins ago, oax said:

Considering your 10 year old PC is still running I wouldn't waste my money on a new laptop; this online/internet thing is probably just a passing fad...

like the pandemic

28 mins ago, Tom T said:

This.  This is the thread today.

Thank you.

You mean this is as good as it's going to get? Today?

1 min ago, Mike said:

You need to do brain transplant surgery on the old laptop. Investigate the motherboard chipset and find the fastest processor it will accept. Get that processor and swap out the old one.

Then find out how much RAM the new processor can manage on that motherboard. Max that out.

Should be good to go.

thanks. so in plain english, take it to a guy that is in the know.

2 mins ago, Mike said:

Should be good to go.

yea, sure,  I'll get rite on it :dismay:

Just now, coolhandfluke said:

thanks. so in plain english, take it to a guy that is in the know.

Also have him swap out the hard drive for an SSD. 

I did all this to an old Dell, myself, and dropped the boot time from 3 minutes to 60s.

I'm guessing that if you have someone do it that may change the economy of it. Doing it myself cost about $300. If it's going to cost you north of $500 to have it done you're probably better off getting a new computer. Maybe a Chromebook would be fine for what you do.