BrianC86

Taking a trip to Ipswich

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

After many failed attempts to vacation this past 18 months, I’m finally taking the family away this week to Ipswich, and staying right on the water.

Not looking for any spots or secret info, but the wife has given me permission to do some fishing while we are there, and I was wondering what you guys suggest I bring. I have an assortment of rods, plugging and chunking, and most styles of lures. I’ll probably be mostly in the area of Plum Island Sound.

Any suggestions are appreciated as my September down here on LI has been anything but productive as of yet. Thanks all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PI sound has been ice cold for me this month.  This weekend I saw large schools of what I think were juvinile sand eels.  Something feeding on them jumping clear out the water that I think were Hickory Shad.  If that gives you any ideas?  Juvi herring should be dumping out of the river systems and passing through but I didn't see any.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Those may be sturgeon jumping out of the water. At least that is what I have been seeking over the past month.  Keep your eyes scanning the horizon and you will see them. My trips there have been from shore with the mrs so ya, not real fishing. Funny when she charges me with that as some kind of "fishing time" credit.

 

You should be fine with your plans. Striper and blues are in the area but may not seem so - at least not to any reliable conistancy.  However, fish do swim and just have to be agile with your line in the water as much as possible. 

 

Good luck!

Edited by NHAngler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NHAngler said:

Those may be sturgeon jumping out of the water. At least that is what I have been seeking over the past month.  Keep your eyes scanning the horizon and you will see them. My trips there have been from shore with the mrs so ya, not real fishing. Funny when she charges me with that as some kind of "fishing time" credit.

 

You should be fine with your plans. Striper and blues are in the area but may not seem so - at least not to any reliable conistancy.  However, fish do swim and just have to be agile with your line in the water as much as possible. 

 

Good luck!

I got a good enough look to see something silver with a forked tail.  First thought was Blues but I ran a popper over them to no avail.  Then thought maybe something crazy like a bonito ( which had been caught in the area).  Tried burning in a tin but no luck.    I've seen Hicks feeding like that before and I'm fairly certain that's what they were.  

 Also it was centered around balled up bait, not the random jumpings of sturgeon that scare the crap out of me on a moonless night.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peanut bunker are thick right now. This past Thursday to Sunday the fishing was nothing short of spectacular. I would suggest 9 foot rod with an assortment of bucktails, swim shads, jumpin minnows, Charlie Graves, and pencil poppers.   A lot of mid 40 inch fish being caught on pencils around the peanut bunker schools. Blues seem to have thinned out, but the few being caught are gators. If at beach during day with kids pretty much non stop action on clams for school size fish and slots on the incoming tide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I was there about five minutes or less and saw sturgeon, slow fishing but I did have a couple of windows where schoolies and low slot fish were literally throwing themselves out of the water on rain bait, had fun bending the rod with a popper, couldn’t get them to hit anything else. A lot of the time they were so keyed in on the bait they had no interest in any lures. The wife, who will entertain fishing with me a few times a year, did well with clams, picked up three slot fish with her biggest coming in around 11 pounds, so I think I might have a new fishing buddy this fall. Lots of anglers roaming our backyard all times of day and night and everyone of them was as friendly as could be, a lot different than down here on Long Island. Appreciate the tips guys, look forward to coming back to New England soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianC86 said:

Also, Surfland is an absolute gem, the people who work there are fantastic, will definitely go out of my way again to support them 

It’s one of my happy places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2021 at 9:12 PM, BrianC86 said:

Well I was there about five minutes or less and saw sturgeon, slow fishing but I did have a couple of windows where schoolies and low slot fish were literally throwing themselves out of the water on rain bait, had fun bending the rod with a popper, couldn’t get them to hit anything else. A lot of the time they were so keyed in on the bait they had no interest in any lures. The wife, who will entertain fishing with me a few times a year, did well with clams, picked up three slot fish with her biggest coming in around 11 pounds, so I think I might have a new fishing buddy this fall. Lots of anglers roaming our backyard all times of day and night and everyone of them was as friendly as could be, a lot different than down here on Long Island. Appreciate the tips guys, look forward to coming back to New England soon

Hey - we met right in front of your house! (10' surf rod and 14' two hander at different times) see you next time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, pkw1689 said:

Hey - we met right in front of your house! (10' surf rod and 14' two hander at different times) see you next time!

Be back next year pal, nice meeting you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.