Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 21 - Sept 28

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation and much success.  Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth it getting off the couch.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel with the ever changing fishing conditions we have today. 

So hard last week to find a striper, bluefish, funny fish. We are turning into the "Sea Bass State!"

All three species vanished? What's going on.

We are past the mid point in September. Wednesday is the 1st day of Fall.

It shouldn't be this way.

Captain if you aren't catching , I feel vindicated, maybe I don't suck. I thought the bait balls post hurricane reminded me of early October. Now the balls are gone, looking like November only the water is warm. The mornings are cooler, days are shorter and I'm going back to work,  it will get better soon.

Its slowed the past 10 days but not stopped completely. Still good reports of larger migratory bass from up north. Whether they make a meal stop in inshore ri on their way south is anyones guess. Bait has scattered a bit from what it was. At least schoolies around. 

Last night was a bust for me. Fished 4 different spots without a bump. In one spot some small schoolies had mullet pinned up against the rocks but they were so dialed in to them I couldn’t entice them. Also noticed the return of some peanut bunker which had previously disappeared. Any day now… :headscratch:

Fished last night and the moon SUCKED!!! Didnt need lights to walk to any spots or change lures. Fished a generally productive spot in the NE wind, and it was slow. Got 2 26/27" fish and those were the only hits i got.  Found a pile of peanuts later with fish breaking on them, due to brightness and amount of bait they would not touch anything. got 2-3 non committed hits and that was it despite a feeding event going on in front of me.

The large influx of bait from Aug and early sept is either gone or went up on the bay.  Find bait and find fish but finding bait is a challenge right now, we dont have a ton to draw migrating fish inshore other then mullet dumping out of some ponds.

Slow night - generally the September full is a moon when I do have some potential action.  Probably because of the potential presence of mullet.  No bait seen just a few hookups with small bass but did catch my first unicorn (bluefish) of the season.  Sad to see what has happened with the historic bluefish surf fishery.  

I’ve covered a lot of ground with my truck and put in a ton of hours in the past week. Haven’t seen any birds working which I think is unusual for this time of the year. I’ll run into large pods of bait with nothing on them. Here and there they may get harassed by a fluke or sea robin looks like. Right at sundown I’ll get lucky with a small blue or 2. But I really hope it gets better with this colder weather. I’m calling it a season second week of October if there is no improvement, no sense in wasting countless hours working pencil poppers on empty water! Usually I don’t fish this much in September because usually I catch a bunch of fish every time I go out.

41 mins ago, trwhite said:

I’ve covered a lot of ground with my truck and put in a ton of hours in the past week. Haven’t seen any birds working which I think is unusual for this time of the year. I’ll run into large pods of bait with nothing on them. Here and there they may get harassed by a fluke or sea robin looks like. Right at sundown I’ll get lucky with a small blue or 2. But I really hope it gets better with this colder weather. I’m calling it a season second week of October if there is no improvement, no sense in wasting countless hours working pencil poppers on empty water! Usually I don’t fish this much in September because usually I catch a bunch of fish every time I go out.

I hear ya. I keep wondering how much sleep i am willing to miss and how much i want to irritate the wife for a few schoolies.  The lack of bait in certain areas is sad.  If the only bait is mullet this fall then a few select spots will be mobbed and not a ton else going on.

There are a lot of nice bass being taking, in high quality popular spots at night, people I know are hooking up every time they go out. I don't do well with crowds so I very rarely partake in it but I do see the pics. 

I've had a lot of travel and stuff this month, so it's been frustrating as I've spent very little time on the water but looks like I haven't missed much.   Away this weekend too, but then 10 straight days of fishing scheduled.  Really hoping for some Albies to show up in force by the middle of next week.   

Lots of people out last night... had to fish a spot that I never tried and hooked up with a decent bass... probably could have gotten more but just wasn't throwing the right stuff at first from what it seemed. Plan on getting out there again tonight with hopefully the same luck and some..

52 mins ago, bassing said:

There are a lot of nice bass being taking, in high quality popular spots at night, people I know are hooking up every time they go out. I don't do well with crowds so I very rarely partake in it but I do see the pics. 

I hear ya, but I dont enjoy dealing with the crowds at those spots.  Its not enjoyable fishing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

52 mins ago, Kooky said:

I hear ya, but I dont enjoy dealing with the crowds at those spots.  Its not enjoyable fishing.

Either do I.

I'm pissed about the amount of people at  , a couple weeks ago it was loaded with fish, every time I tried to get down there there would be at least 6 people there, it never used to be like that. The   same thing the   the   its crazy the amount of people fishing.

Edited by bassing

It's been a weird few weeks since Ida. Seems the birds went from frenzy to fully shut off even though there's bait visually busting in the mornings. Had to resort to bottom fishing on multiple morning sessions, which has been successful. Night sessions have been more productive than morning but the full moon is not ideal. The most mind boggling pattern since Ida is that topwater bites are virtually nonexistent at both sunrise and sunset. Hoping that a shift from NE/E wind to S/SW soon could fire things back up.  

3 mins ago, bassing said:

Either do I.

I'm pissed about the amount of people at Sprague bridge, a couple weeks ago it was loaded with fish, every time I tried to get down there there would be at least 6 people there, it never used to be like that. The lighthouse same thing the avenues the breachways its crazy the amount of people fishing.

That used to be one of my favorite spots to hit on my way home.  Its packed 24 7 now, the poaching that goes on there is rampant!!