spitzlure14

Has anyone fished Saint Martin

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I’m going to Saint Martin this January and I was wondering is anyone has tried to fish the beaches.

also if anyone knows what type of fish are around the island.

Thanks

“ St Maarten Canal  “ = YouTube it’s pretty funny  :laugh:

guy getting all excited catching “ Pet “ Tarpon “ the locals feed them daily mostly by hand .  

Edited by Hook I

There used to be some big bones on the French side beaches but that was before the hurricane a few years ago.  Haven't been there since so no info to share.  I just love that island, but not really a good fishing destination IMO 

My parents had time share for years unfortunately the times I was there was in my mid and late teens that was 40 years ago had little flyfishing experience and no saltwater looking back at it now the skinny silver fish I tried to catch where bonefish and yes on the French side by the pelican resort which may not be there anymore

I have a little update, its my second day and to far I've caught a few small snappers/jacks.

I've hooked one 60-80 pound tarpon by one of the fish markets and I saw around a dozen tarpon around that area, sadly I couldn't get one to take on fly so i used some bait scraps.

Ive seen the salt ponds while driving and I saw a few small tarpon rolling.

Tomorrow I'm checking out a different fish market and hopefully I'll make it to the salt pond.

If it's any good I'll give another update.

2 hours ago, spitzlure14 said:

I have a little update, its my second day and to far I've caught a few small snappers/jacks.

I've hooked one 60-80 pound tarpon by one of the fish markets and I saw around a dozen tarpon around that area, sadly I couldn't get one to take on fly so i used some bait scraps.

Ive seen the salt ponds while driving and I saw a few small tarpon rolling.

Tomorrow I'm checking out a different fish market and hopefully I'll make it to the salt pond.

If it's any good I'll give another update.

Thanks for the report.  I hope you hook up with a nice tarpon, let us know how you make out

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went to the salt pond/canal mentioned in the video above.
There were  some pretty nice tarpon under the bridge (the canals water level has risen a couple of feet) but they were weren’t biting and I was short on time.

The fish market was closed so I’ll try again tomorrow.

Also I saw a group of really big mangrove snappers under a bridge, but again I couldn’t get them fooled.

Does anyone have a productive fly for snappers?

I’ll  have another update tomorrow 

Edited by spitzlure14

I went to the fish market and there were a good group of 20-80 pound tarpon but again I couldn’t get one on fly.

I will go back tomorrow with bait.

also I got a bunch of ok sized palometa at orient beach

Just keep switching patterns on the snappers until they bite.  They are notoriously fickle and what works today won't get a look tomorrow.  But when you hit the right fly it's a blast!  I could not get a hit one time until out of desperation I tied on a lead wing coachman wet fly.  Bang every cast.  Next day, same spot, I didn't even get a curious look at the coachman, but a grass shrimp pattern eventually got me going again.  I think around the bridges and mangroves they key on a type of forage for the day, not so much in open water.  JMHO

Hi, sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier.

I ended up going back to the fish market and jumping two 40 pound tarpon using cut bait.

I also went to grande case where I saw a few really big tarpon cruising.

I didn’t end up seeing any bone fish but I did see some mudded ground around a nearby mangrove flat.

on the last night I decided to go night fishing on the Getty right in front of the hotel.

it was super exciting I lost three fish in the first 30 minutes then a lost a really nice snook right on the rocks which was a little traumatizing Jk but later that night i got an ok sized horse eye jack which was a surprisingly good fight.

before I left I went back to the canal which was loaded with baby tarpon I couldn’t get one to eat which was really humbling, I also checked a few other spots father up the canal and there were tons there too.

Thanks for the help!

here are a few photos the tarpon look really small but I promise there big!609A5696-6F25-4649-9279-F138FFC01980.jpeg.c0819e91b2c85780a0bda6ec5093ea68.jpeg16E9A99C-FDCA-4EDC-9E5E-92E3EED39B92.jpeg.5138b1ff21eb8f4929586a7ebfae3118.jpegA51FAE44-42B3-493D-9229-5677D97AFCAE.jpeg.698b176552dcdc6e2452000fbb2409f4.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

spitz: photo is of a "jack crevalle" which, surely, gave you a nice fight,......but, not a tarpon, small or otherwise. However, we realize, while you were speaking of seeing tarpon, we shouldn't assume the photo was of a small tarpon. Understood:):)

Thx for keeping us up to date with your vaca fishing!

Edited by flysully