rockawayjake

Penn reel repair locations

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cow Harbor or Causeway bait and tackle are usually a good choice.

But then again, Penn reels are one of the easiest reels to repair since there are not too many moving parts and the majority of the reels are just slight upgrades from one another with the same internal design(gear material, tolerances, sealed bearings, body material, and upgraded drag are the only things that are generally improved upon in each ascending model). And the parts are very widely available. Once I started taking apart my penns, I never sent them in for service again. Only my Daiwa's and van staals get serviced since those are a massive pain in the ass to take apart at home.

Edited by Inception

7 hours ago, Inception said:

Once I started taking apart my penns, I never sent them in for service again.

Fully agree... watch a Youtube vid, its a joke and parts are readily available , Amazon...Ebay etc.

I sent a 18 year old 550ss back to Penn in PA for an overhaul. I’m just getting back into surfcasting. They basically rebuilt the entire reel in 2 days. And charged me nothing. Outstanding customer service. The reel now works flawlessly. 

Have all my reels done at white water outfitters. Top notch service and quick turnaround. Highly recommend. In the past I’ve had reels done at causeway and cow harbor with no complaints but they’re too far for me

On 9/21/2021 at 8:09 AM, PeteA said:

I sent a 18 year old 550ss back to Penn in PA for an overhaul. I’m just getting back into surfcasting. They basically rebuilt the entire reel in 2 days. And charged me nothing. Outstanding customer service. The reel now works flawlessly. 

That’s pretty cool to know. Did they supply a list of parts they replaced? Or was it just a grease and lube service?

Just the other day I found an ol 550ss I have of my old mans. Thing is really stiff, I put it on my bench & was going to pull it apart sometime soon. But maybe I’ll just send it off to Penn.

Posted (edited) · Report post

38 mins ago, MattieG said:

That’s pretty cool to know. Did they supply a list of parts they replaced? Or was it just a grease and lube service?

Just the other day I found an ol 550ss I have of my old mans. Thing is really stiff, I put it on my bench & was going to pull it apart sometime soon. But maybe I’ll just send it off to Penn.

Not only supplied a list but sent a bag w/ all the old parts back to me! 

Edited by PeteA

On 9/20/2021 at 7:17 PM, rockawayjake said:

Who is doing penn reel repairs now that Sea Isle tackle in Freeport is closed

Are they closed for good?

I use them for my Penn reel jobs but they would take 5-8 weeks even during the winter, they told me they only order parts once a week, if I want the job done sooner I can order my own parts...

Now I just send them back to the factory and it takes 2 weeks.

57 mins ago, Bogey said:

Does Penn still do repairs in Philly?

Yes, that’s where I sent it. PM me and I’ll see if I can dig out the address and my techs info. 

On 9/21/2021 at 5:39 AM, hunter123 said:

Old Inlet B & T in Delaware. You can ship it to them. There good.

Yup they're my go to place.  Good work and decent price.

4 hours ago, PeteA said:

Yes, that’s where I sent it. PM me and I’ll see if I can dig out the address and my techs info. 

Been going there sice 1966, Differant owner then. But It's a great place and I like the people there.