Dthfrmabove1

Charley Murat by ( Angler 1 )

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was a man I first met and fished alongside the big river we call the Cape Cod Canal at Bob Blacks,  Blackies Hole. He had a shop in Rhody at the time and did up rods, especially for Red Top during the forties and early fifties some time. The mantra was that everyone had to have a Murat Rod and it wasn’t until years later I was able to buy one at Red Too. I had served my country in the Navy for 4 years and was honorably discharged in 1961 and it was after I was discharged I was able to purchase a Murat rod on sale at Red Top. I would meet Dave Hammock working on building rods in the shop in front of the old movie screen and have respectful conversations on many fishing subjects. If I recall Charley had passed by this time and David was working the shop by himself. It was during that time frame I learned that many of the rods were actually built by David and that they also turned plugs which he did in the garage to the left of where he wrapped rods for an assortment of fishermen of the day. We often spoke about different plugs they made, among which was the Murat Eel that you see hanging on one of the pictures David painted later in his life that plug was sold to me by Red Top when Bunny was still working at the shop. I had other Murat swimming plugs, however they for sold to collectors over the years, all except the Murat Eel. 
   When David began his paintings with oils I was honored when he sold two of his plugs to me which I still have today in my collection. Both were of ducks and done with conviction and patience. He managed to do some farm scenes which were sold to someone after he passed. I do know that Ed Poore was able to purchase all his Harnell rod blanks that were stored in the basement inside boxes. Along with wood plugs in various forms of completion. I will need to ask his son if he was able to buy one or more of his Murat Eels that I once cast at Herring Cove that was a 3 section wood creation when I see him sometime.  
  History can be a beautiful thing if you appreciate the meanings behind it. For me to think that an early maker of custom rods and custom plugs, David Hammock was also an artist and was someone who built the first lamiglas graphite for me that I still have today is mind boggling to say the least and a story from another time when fishing had more meaning than today. In my opinion 

Peace and Prayers 

863D6AC3-8B62-47DF-A589-7570F819459B.jpeg

8143E1E6-9985-4638-8A20-436A60A848C6.jpeg

Edited by Dthfrmabove1

Shawn thank you once again for the time you took to help this old guy in an area I have not mastered.   If you can correct where I said He Had a shop in [Rhody] from what is posted. Peace and Prayers

In Frank Daignault's book "20 Years on the Cape" Frank tells the story of Charlie's passing while fishing Nauset Beach.  Charlie was fishing with friends and actually had a bass on his line when he died suddenly.  Frank wrote that Charlie's last sensations were of the sand and the surf that he loved so much.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, clambellies said:

In Frank Daignault's book "20 Years on the Cape" Frank tells the story of Charlie's passing while fishing Nauset Beach.  Charlie was fishing with friends and actually had a bass on his line when he died suddenly.  Frank wrote that Charlie's last sensations were of the sand and the surf that he loved so much.

Charlie was a beach man as well as canal rat of sorts.  From all accounts he had a heart attack, the fish was mounted from my recollection from David Hammock and it was in the shop.  The fish was in the 20 pound range as I recall. As I posted above he often would be seen along the canal[selling his rod] something many did during that time frame late forties and fifties into the 1960's along with plugs and jigs and what ever. It was during one of those times when I was still learning the ropes ,sort of speak. that I was introduced to him by my mentor Peter Cochis. I never ever recall any time when Frank fished the canal , other then one time at Pips on his way home from Nauset and that was much later in my life. Over ones life time you may well hear of others who also died on the beach with a fish on, not a bad way to leave this earth and find a place in King Neptune's  realm. Peace and Prayers

Edited by Angler #1

3 hours ago, clambellies said:

...  Charlie was fishing with friends and actually had a bass on his line when he died suddenly....

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

...  From all accounts he had a heart attack, the fish was mounted from my recollection from David Hammock and it was in the shop.  The fish was in the 20 pound range as I recall. ...

The account that I read said Charlie was fishing with five friends at Nauset and Charlie had already beached and kept two 20 pounders when a third bass hit.

It was then that he toppled over with the bass still on the line.  Friends yelled out to cut his line.  His line was cut.  Immediately, the rest of his group began to hook up. 

In a show of respect and solidarity with Charlie, his friends also cut their lines and released their fish.

9 mins ago, Joe G said:

The account that I read said Charlie was fishing with five friends at Nauset and Charlie had already beached and kept two 20 pounders when a third bass hit.

It was then that he toppled over with the bass still on the line.  Friends yelled out to cut his line.  His line was cut.  Immediately, the rest of his group began to hook up. 

In a show of respect and solidarity with Charlie, his friends also cut their lines and released their fish.

Joe you may be correct, however I can still recall a mounted fish[in the twenty pound range] on the wall as you went into the shop on the right, that had a plague on it,  was a fish that Charlie had caught the day he died on the beach as was told to me? One of his last fish he caught before he passed on the beach. So it may have been one of the other two fish he had previously caught. David had told me that he several that wanted to buy the mount because of the circumstances surrounding why any one would mount such a small fish during that time frame. That would have been a small fish by the standards of that time as I recall. Peace and Prayers 

17 mins ago, Joe G said:

Some show of solidarity.  The poor guy is laying in the sand, gasping his last. Instead of administering assistance, they continue to fish?  As a salute to their fallen comrade, the all hook fish, and cut their lines? Leaving all those fish to swim with plugs in their mouth. Nice. :dismay:

24 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

......... David had told me that he several that wanted to buy the mount because of the circumstances surrounding why any one would mount such a small fish during that time frame. That would have been a small fish by the standards of that time as I recall...... Peace and Prayers 

I am honestly baffled and amazed that anyone would want to buy the fish that Charlie Murat caught on the day he died.  I guess this guy was highly thought of by some.

As an aside, I wonder how many folks know that Hammock was Charlies son-in-law and his first name was Joe, not David.

4 hours ago, clambellies said:

I used to play in a 30 & over baseball league in Western MA. One of the players dropped dead on the field during a game. We had a best sportsmanship award that was given out at the fall banquet. The award was named after the guy who died while playing the game he loved.

Joe thanks for bringing up his first name as Joe rather then David. For some reason he liked David better then . I also learned another reason why he and I often would spend hours talking fishing from the old days he was a BM2 in the Sea bees during the second world war we both had the U>S>Navy in common with each other .Peace and Prayers

20 hours ago, Joe G said:

I still can't believe I read this?

Did this really happen, or is this some sort of surf fishing urban legend?  Some real compassionate guys.  :dismay:

20 hours ago, Joe G said:

In days of old

when anglers were bold

and CPR was not invented

we cut his line and

put away our plugs

and went away contented....................

13 mins ago, b-ware said:

In days of old

when anglers were bold

and CPR was not invented

we cut his line and

put away our plugs

and went away contented....................

And what did they do with his carcass, leaving there rolling around in the surf?

BTW Bernie, nice prose.