Marcel_Karssies

Germany, Sept. 18th-19th.

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

September used to be the month for the annual fishing contest of the German club.
Last year the venue was skipped due to the pandemic but not this year.
Location was again the mill pool where the owner graciously allowed us access to the premises.
Now I was not so contend in getting hit by the weights thrown by fellow club anglers
but more to meet the owner and his wife again as their health was frail to say the least.

The early morning session on the home waters was a bust.
Shallow water and lots of anglers around where not a recipe for angling bliss.
I had hoped some of the stocked trout had it made out of the pool into the river but I only encountered tiny gudgeons and dace.

After a breakfast held in the big shed at the mill we fished several hours in the mill pool.
The goal was to get five trout, those would be weighed in with any fish the anglers might
had caught during the morning fishing session.
The one with the most fish in weight would be the angler king, crowned with a chain and billed
for the drink.

I fished the flyrod as usual but darn that pool had become really shallow with most fish
being held up in the deepest part just under the mill weir.
I managed three pretty ugly rainbows and lost three others.
After the official part with the crowning of the angler king and the obligatory barbecue I ended
the day in the pub for dinner.

I was pondering if I should get a day ticket for the mill pool as it was open for us members the
next day by means of a special permit.
As it usually it would be a zoo then so I figured I be better off chasing chub.

I was a bit unprepared for the next day … I forget my trusty hopper selection.
When I arrived at the first chub spot I saw plenty of fish but only got two small fish.
Whatever I tried nothing would work.
The weather had not been that friendly also.
The day before the sun sometimes came out and it was warm, now totally overcast skies with wind
and a significantly lower temperature.

I tried the main river but with the lack of sunlight I could not spot the fish or very late.
The only way I spotted fish was when they shot off as they saw me first.
With the knowledge that the chub fishing was not going to happen pub time came early.

Just out of curiosity I checked the mill pool and saw nobody fishing which puzzled me.
Then I got a short bright moment when I remembered that the day before the famous
Applefest was held … all the locals would be drunk at home.
It was not that long before sunset but I quickly arranged a ticket for the pool and started fishing.

Fishing the nymph yielded however no reaction at all … the fish where present though.
I could see the rainbows everywhere moving around.
The squirminator also did not work with the exception of one rainbow from under the weir
that came off during the fight.
It was getting late and I only had caught a small dace, light was fading.
I had not only forgotten the hoppers but also the streamer box which would be my plan B
to catch any trout.
I found one bonefish clouser in my tacklebag and fished that on a heavier tippet.
The fish where chasing the streamer and I finally landed that trout I was hoping for.
Also jumped five other trout but that clouser hook was not that sharp.

With the knowledge that the pub would be soon out of the usual daytrippers and bikers meaning the kitchen would close down I called it a day.
I was the last guest present that got a warm meal that day, all good.

My hopes for trout are now set on my vacation at the start of October.
Just saw on the news that the US would be open for travel in November but alas too late for me.
I fear I will be freezing my backside off in the mountains as the long time weather
predictions predict a sharp temperature drop in October around here…

DSC_1902.JPG

DSC_1906.JPG

DSC_1908.JPG

DSC_1910.JPG

DSC_1911.JPG

DSC_1912.JPG

DSC_1915.JPG

DSC_1921.JPG

DSC_1923.JPG

DSC_1926.JPG

DSC_1945.JPG

DSC_1949.JPG

DSC_1950.JPG

DSC_1951.JPG

DSC_1952.JPG

DSC_1954.JPG

DSC_1955.JPG

DSC_1956.JPG

DSC_1959.JPG

DSC_1962.JPG

DSC_1965.JPG

DSC_1967.JPG

Sounds like a bit of a rough time. I gotta hand it to you though you do manage to get the most out of it, I hope your weather people have their forecasts wrong . Myself I wont watch weather reports when there's long range forecasts . I'd rather get hit with it than fret over it . One tip I can offer is my fishing bag will always have what I ever need in it . I cant control the weather people or the fish but I can control what I carry. 

We will see what the weather gods throw at me in a couple of weeks.
Equipment is ready, flyboxes are full so I only have to find and catch fish.

There is some bad news on the chow front, rumors have it that the pub is closing down ...

From a reliable source information came that the people that run the business currently

have set their eyes on another location in a nearby village.

Apparently the new venue has more space to hold large gatherings from that these businesses make most of their income.

I honestly think that move will not work out, I know the new location as I used to be there often
in the past as I was member of a local fishing club there.
Several people that tried to run the place went under there.

Times have changed and with the pandemic many folks working in the service industry had to find
work elsewhere.
Many of them now have regular jobs with regular pay and working times and will not come back.

Heck even in the engineering firm I work for getting skilled staff is a problem.
Even worse is the failing supply chain ... can not get stuff on time anymore.

While not a fly fisherman myself, I always find your stories and pictures very interesting and entertaining. Thanks for sharing!

Just out of curiosity, being that your from Germany, have you ever had the opportunity to get to any neighboring countries to fish for huchen?

Well I am not from Germany but from the Netherlands … border is about 5km from where I live. Never fished for Huchen so I only know they are big. I think Austria would be the place (Drau). Seems to be a winter fishery.