CBFish

Advice mounting Helix 5 transducer on Sportsman Salty 120 PDL?

9 posts in this topic

I have an Old Town Sportsman Salty 120 PDL that I am happy with. Decided to put a Hummingbird Helix 5 DI GPS G2 fishfinder on it. I've seen this YT video on how to mount a Helix 7 onto an OT Autopilot. The Humminbird-provided screws do not work with the Salty mounting plate. The YTuber suggests stainless steel 1024 3/4 in. bolt w/ lock nuts. Anyone else have suggestions or what have others successfully used?

I'm a bit of n00b at this -- it took me many hours & a package of third-party butt connectors to figure out how to properly crimp the wires to connect the head unit to the battery without the stripping out -- so any patient advice would be appreciated. I saw the Hydra Concepts universal transducer mount for OT kayaks but it is sold out everywhere.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, boulderdash said:

The video is rather straight forward , do you have the same mounts? do your holes line up ?

Kayak transducer mounts and the Helix transducer mounts look similar, but in my line ups it seems that my transducer will be at a slight angle v flat in video (or so it appears to me). Not sure if this is normal or not. The Helix 5 transducer mounting instructions themselves are not very helpful. The Humminbird website isn't easy to navigate in terms of transducer instructions; the Helix 5G2 packaging doesn't clearly identify the transducer model # but the Humminbird website is built around transducer model #s.  

You want it flat and level and fitting in the recess so its protected . A lot of thing in kayak word  need modification like shims and drilling.

Why not put up some pictures  with the transducer attached to the mounting plate.

So I don't have it fully attached because the plastic snaps (in 2nd pic) look like they'll be hell to unsnap or break and I need to screw in the part to the left to the plate before snapping them in, but the when flush to the plate you can see the slight angle. 

helix5.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's how I have my Helix 7 mounted to my Sportsman PDL 106, mounting kit looks similar to your Salty. I didn't need to modify or shim anything, all installed with what came on the kayak and in the Helix packaging. 

8jq5CGzh.jpg

Edited by superkamikazee

I would  remove some plastic from the bracket ,so that you can get the transducer to sit flat .you can heat a flat screwdriver and melt it away or you can grind it with a Dremel tool or you could try a shim between the boat and the salty's mounting plate to correct the angle if the bolts are long enough.to allow it.

Thank you all for advice. I guess I forgot to take into account the slight angle of the hull that the transducer mount-plate connects to. It looks fairly level once I actually got it on and mounted. Though like the one video says, the Helix transducer cable does bend sharply. It seemed to work ok out on the Great South Bay off Fire Island yesterday (although chop made the seabed look more hilly than it actually is). 

Per the YT video, I used stainless steel 1024 3/4 inch screws w/ nylon-threaded bolts.