cityevader

What am I after?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2021 at 0:25 PM, cityevader said:

I'm kinda eyeing the Ruger American Predator .223.

I like it's general appearance, light weight, AR magazine...

Wish i could hold one...and shoot it first! :)

Good choice, .223.

I'd like a mini 14. Have a look.

Ruger is solid.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:30 PM, cityevader said:

I guess i just want a "grown ups" rifle without spending a lot (keeping in mind CA bans.)

My only prior experience was two shots of a 30-06 (without even hearing protection) and it hurt...and my kid certainly wouldn't like a "big gun"...maybe something in .223?

Sorry I'm all over the place, but I truly don't even know what I want. Some ideas of particular bolt action rifles/calibers to look into would be appreciated.

On 9/25/2021 at 2:31 PM, LBI SurfRat said:

Mine is 7mm-08.  With scope, sling, full mag it's heavy enough.  Recoil isn't really an issue.  

^^^^ This...  think a 7-08 is probably one of the best caliber choices if you only want to own one rifle.  Likely capable of doing anything you want; very accurate, easy recoil and if you intend to hunt in the future it's deadly on game.  Ruger American is a solid choice too...

35 mins ago, oax said:

^^^^ This...  think a 7-08 is probably one of the best caliber choices if you only want to own one rifle.  Likely capable of doing anything you want; very accurate, easy recoil and if you intend to hunt in the future it's deadly on game.  Ruger American is a solid choice too...

Exactly. Wanted a rifle if I ever did an out of state hunt (I'm in NJ).  Figured whitetail would be primary target. Last year I was fortunate to draw an elk cow tag for the Pennsylvania season.  I practiced to 200 yards. Fast forward to the hunt. 180 yard shot on a cow. She stepped and turned as I fired so hit her back but mid body. Loud crack , she mule kicked and spun like a rodeo bull.  Then just stood there. Guide said she wasn't going anywhere but where I come from if the animal is still standing...send another.  Lol. Hit behind her shoulder. She ran 40 yards and dropped.  First shot hit a rib going in and the bullet did break apart but shredded the liver.  The jacket of the bullet ended up in the heart.  I recovered the jacket.  2nd shot stopped just under the skin in the other side. I recovered that bullet. First shot was fatal but didn't know it.  Lol. She dressed 359lb so puts her live weight at 460ish.  

11 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

First shot hit a rib going in and the bullet did break apart but shredded the liver.  The jacket of the bullet ended up in the heart.  I recovered the jacket.  2nd shot stopped just under the skin in the other side. I recovered that bullet. First shot was fatal but didn't know it.  Lol. She dressed 359lb so puts her live weight at 460ish.  

Good shoot!  What bullet did you use and was it OTC ammo or did you load your own?

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, Lateral Line said:

Good choice, .223.

I'd like a mini 14. Have a look.

Ruger is solid.

I love my mini 14, but they’re not cheap. Mine is a unicorn 6.8 spc, but a lot more common in 223. 

Edited by NonTypical

12 hours ago, oax said:

Good shoot!  What bullet did you use and was it OTC ammo or did you load your own?

Over the counter. I believe it was the federal 140gr.  

I just fondled my first .223 at BassPro.

(Keep in mind i'm budget oriented)

The Savage Axis bolt action for $350.

Initial impression is pretty good (I'm thoroughly satisfied with my budget Savage 64 .22 which was only $130).

I'm curious if anyone here has fired one? Thoughts?

.223 is the only ammo that has been overflowing shelves at my BassPro...but still limited to 2 boxes/day.

If you think you might hunt then .223 is not the round for you. Too small

Stick to 308, that's about the minimum for all around hunting in a common round

I don't see myself hunting anytime in the near future, or even years...unless the van breaks down, out in no man's land without food.

If hunting (I'd have to un-hermit and get a friend probly) a dedicated rifle will be acquired. For now, longer range than .22 target shooting is my aim.

Don't disregard the .223 as a hunting round.  

Bullets have come along way. TSX for example.   

Besides not everyone is shooting moose, elk & bear.  

Smaller "big" game like deer & hogs are no problem for a properly loaded .223.   

Just have to check your laws, may not be legal in your area. 

If u wanna hunt, go for it!  Even solo is worth it.   Start small. Birds and small game.  Walk around the outdoors, enjoy yourself. 

Who cares if your watching YouTube while processing your kill. Just Do It!

Then go up. 

Study animal anatomy and learn about bullet placement.  

A squirrel, a rabbit and a deer are internally, all the same. Just get bigger as you go. 

But if you just wanna shoot, that's awesome too!

Edited by PSegnatelli

As a single father, there just isn't room in life to squeeze in hunting. Particularly not with an adhd/mildy autistic kid whom never stops moving or talking. :)

On 9/27/2021 at 10:05 AM, oax said:

Yep... the 7-08 is my favorite rifle I own

Browning A-Bolt II

8 hours ago, cityevader said:

As a single father, there just isn't room in life to squeeze in hunting. Particularly not with an adhd/mildy autistic kid whom never stops moving or talking. :)

LOL! I know exactly what ya mean.  

Dad? Dad! Dad dad dad...... SQUIRREL!! oh nevermind.  Just a rock..  Hey dad

Kids are awesome.  

Edited by PSegnatelli