cityevader

What am I after?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Couple decades ago, before any interest in guns, someone gave me an old (50's?) Enfield .303. I never used it and gave it away. My friend was shocked, saying it appeared to have never even been fired it was so pristine...at that point I felt it was too late to take it back...

Fast forward to now, and it's a big regret.

I kinda want an old bolt action rifle, but do I really? For nostalgia only?

I'm not even sure what I'd use it for, as I don't hunt (but may in the future), and currently just plink with .22s...but I do want something capable of longer range target shooting.

I guess i just want a "grown ups" rifle without spending a lot (keeping in mind CA bans.)

My only prior experience was two shots of a 30-06 (without even hearing protection) and it hurt...and my kid certainly wouldn't like a "big gun"...maybe something in .223?

Sorry I'm all over the place, but I truly don't even know what I want. Some ideas of particular bolt action rifles/calibers to look into would be appreciated.

Good hearing protectors first off. It just takes one time to cause damage, I now wear 2 hearing aids and still have trouble hearing because I was "Mr.Cool" as a teenager and wasn't wearing protectors.

As for what guns to consider I'll let those more knowledgeable answer that.

Start hitting shops.  Look for what talks to you.  

Don't just buy anything.  Have a purpose. 

If I had to pick one rifle from what I own....

Rossi 92 in 357mag.  Has a 16in barrel. It's slighty larger than a 10/22. 

With 38specials it has 22rimfire levels of recoil & report. With heavy 357mag, it throws a fireball as big as a pumpkin but still doesn't kick awful for something this light. 

I reload, and 38/357 is the easiest.  

But 38 & 357 are cheap to shoot and easy to find. 

If you want optics, I'd look at Henry or find a Marlin. 

OR.  Ruger makes a bolt action 77/357. 

*All of this applies to 44mag chambered rifles as well.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

I’d go with something in 223, if it’s going to be just for target shooting. A lot of guns to choose from in that caliber and fun to shoot. And in these times, 223 is probably the most available. Light recoil and very accurate. 

Edited by NonTypical

Due to the current state of gun/ammo madness in this country a .223 bolt gun probably makes the most sense. Low recoil, ammo availability make it a safe bet. Too many good ones to recommend, go to a good gun shop and shoulder a few different makes...buy what feels best .

On 9/20/2021 at 5:54 PM, LBI SurfRat said:

Ruger American. Comes in many different calibers. 

Dumped the synthetic stock and installed a walnut Boyds stock on my .308 and it made a huge difference in felt recoil.

what previous folks have said, a new bolt gun in .223. Lots of good choices out there. Would be nothing wrong with a .308 or 6.5 creedmore, except a little more expensive to feed and more recoil.

16 hours ago, Capt Buck said:

Dumped the synthetic stock and installed a walnut Boyds stock on my .308 and it made a huge difference in felt recoil.

Mine is 7mm-08.  With scope, sling, full mag it's heavy enough.  Recoil isn't really an issue.  

Second the Ruger American.  I have a 30-06.  I also moved out of Commiefornia in January to a free state. Best decision I ever made. Have my ccw and 100 times better fishing here in Florida.  Nothing ever gets better for gun owners in Commiefornia.