Oakman

Flip Pallot heresy?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

As I navigate through my 70th year, I realize I've become crusty and set in my ways. My kids remind me all the time. Fishing primarily for stripers and sometimes blues in salt, I use welded loops and use a loop-loop for my leaders. When fish are around and feeding, they don't give a rat's a** about how I connect my leaders and neither do I. If it saves some time, enables me to cast how I want, and lands fish, that's all I need to know. Love Flip and was a big fan of Walker's Cay Chronicles, but common sense must prevail as we become more knowledgeable. Otherwise, what are we doing?

9 hours ago, poopdeck said:

Lefty said it best when he said there’s more bull**** in fly fishing than a Kansas feed lot. Applies aptly to leaders. The welded loop and the loop to loop connection is a game changer. Anybody that wants to nip away at hundred dollar fly line because of some non existent or unnoticeable hinge action just likes to hear himself talk at the fly shop water cooler. if the line didn’t have the welded loop than adding a piece of 30 or 40lb mini butt is a no brainer because it limits the nipping away of the fly line. 

leaders are way over thought and over analyzed. Leaders are about the least of my concern in the salt water and frankly not much of a thought in freshwater. If my fly isn’t turning over the way I want I simply adjust my leader through addition or subtraction. At the end of the day my leader is some bastardized version of how it began life and it fished as well with streamers, nymphs, dries and whatever as it did when I started. A welded loop or not does not change that. 

"leaders are way over thought and over analyzed"

Agreed, after listening to Bob Popovics at our fly fishing meeting several years ago....

He said he uses " a length" of 20# leader material, all the time, his words. 

Of course, we flyfishers know, Pops knows what he advises. I follow what he says for my normal saltwater flyfishing. His advice has guided me for 25 yrs. of f/fishing and, can't complain. 

When fishing for albies, I do use flourocarbon 20# leader on the advice of Coop/Coop's B&T Martha's Vineyard. He is totally correct on this. That's it!

It works. IMO, if you don't want to lose your albies, use 20# leaders, according to  Coop, period! 

Quoted: "If the line didn’t have the welded loop than adding a piece of 30 or 40lb mini butt is a no brainer because it limits the nipping away of the fly line."

On the advice of a top tech/friend from a major fly line company, whose flylines I've always used, Airflo, yes. I do add a loop to the end of their flylines, 30/40 butt loop. Of course, I do not want to nip away at my highly priced flyline. Then, I loop to loop my 20# flouro tippet, if fishing for albies, or not a non-flouro tippet, loop to loop, if fishing for other species. It's all good.

I've never decided if the fish species we catch really do care about our leader choices. Up for comments.....does anyone?

I've always said....if the fish are there, we'll catch 'em!

Edited by flysully