Oakman

Flip Pallot heresy?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

So the leader formula thread got me searching and I ran across a video of Flip Pallot and the dude from Mad River discussing attaching leader to fly line.  Flip cuts the welded loops off and snells about 7' of 40# mono onto the fly line as a butt section for the leader he then constructs.  He hates the welded loop of the fly line because of its weight and stiffness, and argues for a long butt section to deliver energy better to the end of the leader.  Who am I to argue with Flip Pallot?  Anyway, seems reasonable enough, y'all should google up the video and come back for some discussion.  I like the slim profile, but what happens when you burn through the butt section?  then you are nipping bits of fly line off to attach a new butt section.  Maybe this is really splitting hairs, I've never noticed the adverse affects of my braided loops on the end of my line, but that's not saying much.  There's a lot I don't notice.  What am I missing here?

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can’t argue about personal preference, he does it the way he likes to, you do it however you please. I also cut the loop off and nail knot the butt section to the line, that’s how I like to do it.

JC

Edited by JonC

My leaders have always been 4-5' of 30 or 40lb mono, loops at each ends, then loop to loop for to the tippet of choice. Generally, I used the same leader butt thru-out an entire season. It would only be changed if it were damaged in some way.

3 hours ago, Oakman said:

Flip cuts the welded loops off and snells about 7' of 40# mono onto the fly line as a butt section for the leader he then constructs.

SW, and increasingly for FW, I nail knot a butt section about a foot long to fly line, and put a perfection loop at the end of said butt section and go from there. That's for ordinary fishing, wouldn't do that for big game.

I see his point completely, I was just stupefied by the concept of a permanent butt section.  Disclaimer I have very little knowledge of freshwater fly fishing, so for what I do, I find myself changing out the entire leader sometimes a couple times a night.  I'll have to break out some of my lines and look for that "bell curve" with my braided loop one butt section looped on.  I do like the idea of a longer butt section. . .

STOP it.  

Shame on you. . .

6 hours ago, Oakman said:

So the leader formula thread got me searching and I ran across a video of Flip Pallot and the dude from Mad River discussing attaching leader to fly line.  Flip cuts the welded loops off and snells about 7' of 40# mono onto the fly line as a butt section for the leader he then constructs.  He hates the welded loop of the fly line because of its weight and stiffness, and argues for a long butt section to deliver energy better to the end of the leader.  Who am I to argue with Flip Pallot?  Anyway, seems reasonable enough, y'all should google up the video and come back for some discussion.  I like the slim profile, but what happens when you burn through the butt section?  then you are nipping bits of fly line off to attach a new butt section.  Maybe this is really splitting hairs, I've never noticed the adverse affects of my braided loops on the end of my line, but that's not saying much.  There's a lot I don't notice.  What am I missing here?

Like some others have already said. You're not missing a thing and my guess is that you're a better Striper fly fisherman than the old Flipster is .

My formula for saltwater fly fishing connections.

Used this method for over 55 years. Never had a failure. 

Use nothing but 30 lbs. leader material, can be monofilament  or fluorocarbon connected to the fly line.

A good length to cut is three feet.

If you go any larger than 30 lbs. test, the larger diameter will not tighten enough around the fly line effectively.

In that case there will be slippage and failure.  

Make sure you cut off the end of the fly line clean about 1/2 inch.

Tie a nail knot of no more than 6 coils. Any more, the inside coils will not tighten sufficiently. This will cause failure.

Lubricate and pull the ends, use pliers on the tag end.

There should be enough on the other side to wrap around your hand.

Pull tight as you can.  Tie a perfection loop on the open end.

All done the length might be close to a foot.   

You can leave it any length you desire.  

IMG_7164.jpg

The theory is fine but the application is not practical for me. I don't think I will ever buy a line without welded loops again, they are just too convenient for what I do.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, DAQ said:

The theory is fine but the application is not practical for me. I don't think I will ever buy a line without welded loops again, they are just too convenient for what I do.  

I like them too. I picked up a new running line and was annoyed that I had to put loops on. I'm more than capable, I've done it dozens on times but I like the loops on. For $100+ it the least that they can friggin do.

ps - the running line was $100 but full lines are...

Edited by Drew C.