float finish

Found a rod&reel in the wash

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Thought I would give this a try. About 2 weeks ago. Been in the H20 for awhile. Barnacles& scale on both. Reel is toast,saved the rod. It's a Lami. Southern OC beach. ID rod&reel and approximate location.Oh yeah,in the surf.

21 hours ago, float finish said:

Thought I would give this a try. About 2 weeks ago. Been in the H20 for awhile. Barnacles& scale on both. Reel is toast,saved the rod. It's a Lami. Southern OC beach. ID rod&reel and approximate location.Oh yeah,in the surf.

If Ocean City MD, see prior posts. 

Ocean County? Jersey? Probably consider posting a thread in the Jersey forum and there’s several FB groups. The Betty’s & Nick’s B&T fishing group is a good choice for Ocean County NJ. 

2 hours ago, EricDice said:

If Ocean City MD, see prior posts. 

Ocean County? Jersey? Probably consider posting a thread in the Jersey forum and there’s several FB groups. The Betty’s & Nick’s B&T fishing group is a good choice for Ocean County NJ. 

Shesh... I was thinkin' Orange County CA.:shrug:...

Butch

It’ll open up another can of worms if someone says it’s the one they lost.  They’ll be upset about condition or want you to meet or ship.   But hope you can salvage the rod. Pics!

On 9/20/2021 at 6:40 PM, RockRonin said:

Someone had a bad day, probably soaking bait and walked away.

Thats funny. I have visions of me doing this several times a year. I also have visions of  bringing all my tackle to a popular spot make a big pile and leave!

15 mins ago, redfin said:

Thats funny. I have visions of me doing this several times a year. I also have visions of  bringing all my tackle to a popular spot make a big pile and leave!

I've wanted to do that but they won't let tractor trailers on the sand!

marc

41 mins ago, redfin said:

You mean like… set up three bait combos in spikes with a white bucket of plugs & other tackle, a chair, a big cooler, etc.?? Never witnessed that before. ;-)

30 mins ago, EricDice said:

You mean like… set up three bait combos in spikes with a white bucket of plugs & other tackle, a chair, a big cooler, etc.?? Never witnessed that before. ;-)

Yeah exactly! Fish the tide and if skunked just walk away! I'd do the next guy a solid and move everything up past the high tide mark so it stays nice and dry too. Sad thing is I can probably do this 3 or 4 times before I exhaust all my chunking stuff.

5 hours ago, redfin said:

. I also have visions of  bringing all my tackle to a popular spot make a big pile and leave!

I did this once... I had the family freshwater fishing on a lake.. We set up a day camp across the lake, and late in the day, after pulling the boat in, every one came screaming to the boat.. It seems someone disturbed a wasp nest, and they were swarming and stinging everything in sight... I gathered the kids, wife and all my gear and got out of there as quick as possible... I loaded the boat on the trailer, drove the 75 miles or so home and went to bed... I was cleaning out the boat the next morning and ..No fishing gear!... Crap!!! I left everything on the day camp spot... I called the local rangers at the lake, and they told me they would take a boat to the spot to see if the gear was still there... Nope, someone walked away with it... Just about all of my freshwater gear was gone... Lesson learned... 1st the fishing gear... Then the kids.;)... Just kidding...

Butch

I was kayak fishing a local bridge and will check out the pylons for possible snagged tackle.(free stuff)

Seems the line I was tugging was attached to a boat rod & reel. It looked like it wasn't submerged long at all.

A friend who was fishing from the bridge saw what I found and told me a fellow boat angler lost some gear in the area the day before. (fish pulled the rod from the holder)

As luck would have it, that guy was out netting pogies on the other side of the bridge, so I paddled over and asked "Did you lose something yesterday?"

He was happy to get the gear back.

Sure, I could have kept it, but I had way too much gear at that time and didn't need any more.

I was glad to be able to find the owner even though it was just a lucky coincidence....