DZ

Overlook parking

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Heads up-  Looks like there is a proposal to limit parking at a very popular “overlook” in Westerly to residents only from May through October.  From what I gather council meeting is tonight.  Hopefully the local fishing clubs show up.  

15 mins ago, DZ said:

Heads up-  Looks like there is a proposal to limit parking at a very popular “overlook” in Westerly to residents only from May through October.  From what I gather council meeting is tonight.  Hopefully the local fishing clubs show up.  

The grab never stops......

Seems like most places in the westerly area are residents only until labor day anyways 

FD beach, all of the parking by the lighthouse ( think that happened within the past year it so ) 

Losing all of the good access 

I think the overlook is only 1/2 hour parking in the "in" season. But its a great spot to park in the off season and go fish, will be a shame if it's lost 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think technically it is only 30 min parking all the time for everyone, but I’ve never had anyone bother me at night , even in the summer. There is a workaround that requires some walking (which I’ve edited out for my own personal gain).  Even if they pass it, it sounds like it will be like Larkin in watch hill, ie loosely enforced after hours and off season. They pretty much just want to make sure you are paying to park at the beach during the day in the summer (because there are workarounds to that) ;) . Hate to lose any access but I wouldn’t sweat this one.

Edited by trwhite

5 hours ago, GrahamN said:

Seems like most places in the westerly area are residents only until labor day anyways 

FD beach, all of the parking by the lighthouse ( think that happened within the past year it so ) 

Losing all of the good access 

I think the overlook is only 1/2 hour parking in the "in" season. But its a great spot to park in the off season and go fish, will be a shame if it's lost 

By the lighthouse has been like that for years now, maybe even a decade.

2 mins ago, trwhite said:

By the lighthouse has been like that for years now, maybe even a decade.

Really? I must have overlooked the signs on the street, or they replaced them with newer ones recently because it certainly caught my eye last time I swung by 

Didn't want to risk a ticket, so I guess the next best option for non locals would be to park down in the town and walk up the hill, then back down to the lighthouse 

Just now, GrahamN said:

Really? I must have overlooked the signs on the street, or they replaced them with newer ones recently because it certainly caught my eye last time I swung by 

Didn't want to risk a ticket, so I guess the next best option for non locals would be to park down in the town and walk up the hill, then back down to the lighthouse 

The signs are new versions of the ones they had up until last year, same regs though. Parking on the road in town and walking is the safest bet for those without a pass. It is free 2 hour parking on the road and no one will bother you at night

1 min ago, trwhite said:

The signs are new versions of the ones they had up until last year, same regs though. Parking on the road in town and walking is the safest bet for those without a pass. It is free 2 hour parking on the road and no one will bother you at night

You probably know,  everyone seems to drive right down to the lighthouse, despite signs stating not to

Fishermen, sightseers, all ages 

Is that enforced at all

I've run into the gentleman who stands at the top and tells you not to run down, but when he's not around, does anyone check? (Talking out of season, I don't bother with that area in season) 

8 mins ago, GrahamN said:

You probably know,  everyone seems to drive right down to the lighthouse, despite signs stating not to

Fishermen, sightseers, all ages 

Is that enforced at all

I've run into the gentleman who stands at the top and tells you not to run down, but when he's not around, does anyone check? (Talking out of season, I don't bother with that area in season) 

Yes it is enforced— sometimes. I’ve had cops ask me while I was out on my rock to move my car if it was down there. They will close the gate sometimes. I always walk though.

They don't even let the UPS guy park down there to deliver. They want him to park in the town lot and hand truck everything down to the shops. Place sucks. 

20 hours ago, trwhite said:

Yes it is enforced— sometimes. I’ve had cops ask me while I was out on my rock to move my car if it was down there. They will close the gate sometimes. I always walk though.

I haven't been there in many years due to crowds and a long-ish drive vs. closer options, but at one time they allowed seniors to drive down and park in the lighthouse lot. Is that still the case?

10 mins ago, bdowning said:

I haven't been there in many years due to crowds and a long-ish drive vs. closer options, but at one time they allowed seniors to drive down and park in the lighthouse lot. Is that still the case?

Yes seniors and the handicapped should be the only ones driving down there