iwantmypie

Brand New Older Penns Being Sold in Australia

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I just saw that apparently Penn Australia still offers the original Slammer and SSM spinning reels. Anyone ever notice this or have any idea why they’re still manufacturing for and selling them in Australia? I can’t say I necessarily have a desire to purchase one the them (well possibly the Slammer) but I’m sure there are plenty stateside who have used those reels in the past and would be willing to pay the shipping to get a brand new one. 

The Penn market in AUS is weird. I’ve noticed Aussies using a lot of older vintage reels over the years watching YouTube videos of fishing over there. Not sure what it’s about. 

Having said that, it’s probably a lot cheaper to find said reel state side. Shipping gonna cost you, and then the possibility of import tax.

I've bought reels from Australia on Ebay and wound up saving a bunch. Shipping was included and the currency exchange made it a no brainer for me. Remember, they're quoting prices in Aussy dollars. 

1 hour ago, Bunkerface said:

I doubt they're producing them currently. Prolly new old stock

Could be but they still show them as a product offering on their site.

2 hours ago, MattieG said:

The Penn market in AUS is weird. I’ve noticed Aussies using a lot of older vintage reels over the years watching YouTube videos of fishing over there. Not sure what it’s about. 

Having said that, it’s probably a lot cheaper to find said reel state side. Shipping gonna cost you, and then the possibility of import tax.

That’s interesting because the Aussie YouTubers I watch, while not a lot of them, are exclusively using top dollar Daiwas and are big on monster GT’s. Have a feeling they’re affiliated or sponsored with Daiwa tho so probably the minority. 

I bought both a brand new Slammer 360 and a 560 from Australia using eBay.

Totally painless transaction, and even with shipping the exchange rate with the Ozzie dollar made them quite affordable.

I like ‘em, they work fine……

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

. . . the Aussie YouTubers I watch, while not a lot of them, are exclusively using top dollar Daiwas and are big on monster GT’s. Have a feeling they’re affiliated or sponsored with Daiwa tho so probably the minority. 

Yes, Daiwa sponsors a fair few YouTube anglers. Briggsy, Brooksy, Cavy, Timmy Turtle and Pelagic Pursuit are Australian & Daiwa sponsored. New Zealanders JE Wilds, The Lateral Line and Moocher Hunters are sponsored by Daiwa too. It's a clever marketing method. I'm not aware of Shimano doing so much of it. It'll be partly why younger anglers where i live (NZ) think Daiwa is cool and seem to think Shimano is old hat or dull.

Edited by Steg
To add a YouTuber

14 mins ago, Steg said:

Yes, Daiwa sponsors a fair few YouTube anglers. Briggsy, Brooksy, Cavy, Timmy Turtle and Pelagic Pursuit are Australian & Daiwa sponsored. New Zealanders JE Wilds, The Lateral Line and Moocher Hunters are sponsored by Daiwa too. It's a clever marketing method. I'm not aware of Shimano doing so much of it. It'll be partly why younger anglers where i live (NZ) think Daiwa is cool and seem to think Shimano is old hat or dull.

Matt Watson is sponsored by Shimano. I think GT Buster as well, not sure. Brendon Wing also used to be sponsored by Shimano, not sure about now. Briggsy, Dennis Vereet and Pelagic are my favorites, but Matt Watson and Brendon Wing have the knowledge. I own two Shimano rods and one Shimano reel, the rest are all Daiwa and Penn reels / St Croix, Black Hole and Lamiglas rods. I don't buy my equipment based on what the fishos use, but I do pay attention to Alan Hawk. It is cool to watch you favorite Youtubers using the same stuff you have though.

We get the left overs until stock runs out,if we want the newest say shimano or diawa then we import direct from Japan,but this is for the enthusiast wanting the latest gear.