pennfishing82

Reels on eBay

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Saw an unused Penn 710Z on eBay with the original box for 170 bucks. Is it worth it, or should I look for a cheaper used one?? I also saw a vintage Mitchell 403 saltwater spinning reel unused with the original box for 140. Anyone have experience with those old Mitchell's??

12 mins ago, Mark L said:

Save your money and buy something newer. Old reels like that last for ever, but modern tech is nicer to fish. 

True. I was also considering a Daiwa BG, quantum Cabo, shimano Socorro, shimano spheros, shimano Sedona,

15 mins ago, pennfishing82 said:

Was considering it. But most people would rather find a beater Penn and clean it up and fish

That’s a steal for a nib reel. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sometimes you can score at garage sales if the owner doesn't know what they have. My neighbor went to a garage sale a few days ago and bought a Penn international baitcasting reel for 15 bucks. My father bought a Penn senator 6/0 reel for 10 bucks at a yard sale about 8 years ago. Never know what you'll find.

Edited by pennfishing82

43 mins ago, pennfishing82 said:

Sometimes you can score at garage sales if the owner doesn't know what they have. My neighbor went to a garage sale a few days ago and bought a Penn international baitcasting reel for 15 bucks. My father bought a Penn senator 6/0 reel for 10 bucks at a yard sale about 8 years ago. Never know what you'll find.

Yard sales can be awesome I’ve had some great scores over the years stopping at them. You never know what you might find. Years ago I stopped at one. The woman kicked her husband out, and was selling all his snap-on tools, and fishing gear. I probably walked out of there spending maybe $100 for $1,000 worth of stuff.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Mitchell 403 and Penn 710 are vastly different reels. The Mitchell is way bigger, and it's a lefty. If you want a Mitchell that isn't lefty you need an even number.

I fished with 303s and 403s for a few years (I fish lefty).  You need to put a bailless kit on them because the bail on them has no roller and twists braid to hell in a couple casts. Then you need to take apart the drag and put some HT-100 washers in (I believe the 650ss size fits) because the Mitchell drag is shoddy at best.  After that they're good reels and I think they're cool with their funny gear setup.  Keep some anti-reverse dogs on hand if you plan to fish braid because you'll be breaking those.

This might be a coincidence, but I broke teeth off the main gear of 3 of the high speed 403 models, but never broke a low speed 303 gear.  Not sure if the fast reels were more delicate or if they just got unlucky.

I would never buy either of those reels now. I'd rather buy a used Penn battle than one of those clunky old things.

Edited by Kima

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I can understand that.  Did u get something to fish with?

Bought an older Shakespeare alpha spinning reel on eBay. New in the package. Probably from 20 years ago.