stripedbassking

Block

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Block Island would be the last place I'd look for albies this time of year.

If the mainland had them in strong, there might be a few pods running on the outgoing tide in the New Harbor Channel.

This year the odd are so much against you.

Bass and bluefish game if you hit it right and you're lucky.

I used to do a few summer and fall block trips. I stopped going to block in october because I was leaving epic fishing on the main Land to get get skunked on block. Not sure how it’s been the past couple years.

I generally spend my time there in late October/early November and most years the Albies are still there although sporadic.  Did spend one Columbus Day weekend there a few years back and the Albie fishing was gang busters. Bluefish is always a crapshoot.  Haven’t caught a blue there in years when I go.  Actually miss catching them. 

This year hasn’t been very good for my liking. Very disappointing especially the last eight weeks or so. Probably the worst Summer from the beach I can remember in a very long time. Boat fishermen have done well for the most part. I have only a few Blue fish this summer unlike last year. Plenty of Gray Seals if your into that. Drew will be pleased. Last week I bumped into a awesome school of slot and above fish. Killed myself trying to find them again the next night, and the next and the next. Maybe tonight?  But I doubt it. Booked a trip to the Keys to cheer my fishing blood up. I wish we had Tarpon on Block they are my new striper unfortunately. 

On 9/19/2021 at 9:22 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

If the mainland had them in strong, there might be a few pods running on the outgoing tide in the New Harbor Channel.

True as it gets right there

On 9/19/2021 at 9:22 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

Are you serious?

On 9/20/2021 at 0:58 PM, DZ said:

I generally spend my time there in late October/early November and most years the Albies are still there although sporadic.  Did spend one Columbus Day weekend there a few years back and the Albie fishing was gang busters. Bluefish is always a crapshoot.  Haven’t caught a blue there in years when I go.  Actually miss catching them. 

This has generally been my experience as well 

Not as consistent as some RI + Cape areas but any trip I've been on bw Sept + Nov there's been at least some Albies, stronger in Sept - 

-  couple beers, nap on the sand, cast when they pop up on their rounds, nice way to recover from the night bass forays

2 yes ago at north rip we had blues 15-18+ lbs blowing up on near anything you'd cast, visually awesome to watch. The aggression and power / strain put on tackle from those things is impressive

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, GraniteStRockfish said:

This has generally been my experience as well 

Not as consistent as some RI + Cape areas but any trip I've been on bw Sept + Nov there's been at least some Albies, stronger in Sept - 

-  couple beers, nap on the sand, cast when they pop up on their rounds, nice way to recover from the night bass forays

2 yes ago at north rip we had blues 15-18+ lbs blowing up on near anything you'd cast, visually awesome to watch. The aggression and power / strain put on tackle from those things is impressive

Block is like an on/off switch in the Fall,  like most areas of fishing occur now. One day can show promise, next day shut down completely.

It's the lack of baitfish missing around the shore and shallows. Some of it may be to tourist. Sandy Point, North Rip has large numbers of gray seals now. Tourist frequent the point driving the seals into the water during summer months. That when they tend to spread out along all the rocky shores and beaches around the island. We had great blue fishing for weeks during the summer, till seal found out they were there.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

On 9/22/2021 at 5:32 PM, levari said:

Are you serious?

What do you think Levari? How's the bite been out your way? Should be prime time.

2 hours ago, SIC34 said:

What do you think Levari? How's the bite been out your way? Should be prime time.

I will let you know sometime in the winter...just remind me...