hunter123

New Eel rod.

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm thinking of getting a new Eel rod, for beach and jetty fishing with Eels. I now use an older St Croix graph lite 10' 1/2 to 3 oz M/H.  Reel, I use a Penn BTL 6000 . I'm switching to braid also. Now What would be a good factory rod. Not interested in a custom built rod.  I like St Croix's, Star rods, ODM. But I'm open to other makes. Price about  $ 200.00 to $ 400.00   Or is the rod set up I have good for Eeling now. Rod is in great shape for being bought In the late 80's Thanks.

Edited by hunter123

I’d take a look at the genesis series from odm they’re right at the top end of your price range but I think you’ll be extremely happy. I’ve got a first gen 11’ 2-6 and it’s one of my favorite rods. The dna series is little bit less money but still awesome rods. Another good option on the lower end of your budget is the tsunami airwave elite series. All of these rods have something in that 10’ 3/4-4 range that would be good for you.

2 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I would go with any Penn ten foot or longer surf rod for your use.. I use a Battalion 12 surf spinning rod for all my surf needs.. 

I use one of those conventional rods for small sharks and big red drum for a heaver.

Edited by hunter123

I know you said you’re not interested in a custom build but the nex1 series from odm would be perfect for you in my opinion. Extremely durable but still on the lighter end weight wise. Sometimes shops will have them prebuilt for around the $400 price range. They are a one piece blank though so that may be a problem for you.

One piece would be a problem. Do you think the rod I have now would be good enough. Right now I use mono on her, but I'm falling in love with braid. I have snapped of a few Eels with The M/H  1/2 to 3 oz St Croix I use . But that probably is me.

Edited by hunter123

To me it sounds like what you have does what you need/want it do. Although I will say if you step up to braid and more modern rod I think you’ll fall in love and never look back. You’ll have a lighter rod that casts better with a lot more sensitivity. Newer rods are so much easier to load as well and in turn don’t wear you out as fast during a long night of fishing. What lb test mono are you using? Is the mono snapping during your cast or are the eels coming off the hook?

I'd look into the odm DNA series.

Everyone raves about the genesis but, I don't like 50/50 split rods. I believe we fish the same areas alot and I fished a 9' DNA  a bunch this year.

Jigs, plugs, eels. For the price I have been impressed. More so that other rods at that price point. If your looking for a 10' they have one that's rated just a little heavier than the 9'

Dinger, Thanks. I use 20# BBG mono on the Btl 6000, with a 4' 40# mono top shot. The rod is a composit rod  graphite and glass. Rod feels a little stiff, but I think it was me with to much forse behind the cast , all this from Jetty fishing.  Eels coming off. not a lot but this is why I blame myself.  I do use a Tsunami Elits 11' 1 to 4.5 oz for plugs. Great rod. But I agree with you, a new more modern rod Like all my other rods. 

38 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

I'd look into the odm DNA series.

Everyone raves about the genesis but, I don't like 50/50 split rods. I believe we fish the same areas alot and I fished a 9' DNA  a bunch this year.

Jigs, plugs, eels. For the price I have been impressed. More so that other rods at that price point. If your looking for a 10' they have one that's rated just a little heavier than the 9'

Thanks . What oz wieght rod rating are you using for the Eels. Also do you think my 704z would be a better reel for Eeling with it's slower retreave rate. The Btl 6000 works fine so far. Here comes a new rod.

You want a rod that is a little softer for throwing eels No??  I find a lot of the modern rods to be super fast, so not really great for eels. Right now I am fishing a 10' Airwave Elite and a 9', old school Loomis Surf Series..

5 mins ago, hunter123 said:

Dinger, Thanks. I use 20# BBG mono on the Btl 6000, with a 4' 40# mono top shot. The rod is a composit rod  graphite and glass. Rod feels a little stiff, but I think it was me with to much forse behind the cast , all this from Jetty fishing.  Eels coming off. not a lot but this is why I blame myself.  I do use a Tsunami Elits 11' 1 to 4.5 oz for plugs. Great rod. But I agree with you, a new more modern rod Like all my other rods. 

Hunter for eel slinging, you do not want a stiff rod, and stay away from fast rods as well. If your ells are coming off, it just might be the rod and not you.

Look for a moderate action rod that loads throughout the entire blank that has backbone to cross her eyes

Tight lines

Lou T

Thanks. I was looking online at the ODM Genises rods . Also the lami glass insane rod. But it looks like fast rod.  So should I get a 9' or 10' rod rated either to 4 oz or something 1 - 5 0z.? Then the onlything is to find a store that has them instock. Would you still use the Btl 6000 reel with braid or use a 704z with mon?. With the cost of a good rod ,I want to make it right.

Edited by hunter123

With how rod technology is now you won’t be able to tell the genesis is 50/50 split. They’re a moderate fast action so they’ll have a little bit softer of an action then what you’re using now. Can’t go wrong with a dna either though.

1 min ago, Dinger117 said:

With how rod technology is now you won’t be able to tell the genesis is 50/50 split. They’re a moderate fast action so they’ll have a little bit softer of an action then what you’re using now. Can’t go wrong with a dna either though.

Thanks ,I respect all your opinions. On the Genesis, What rod would you pick, rated oz, Lenght, and with the DNA, same thing, what would you go with. I'll probably still use the Btl 6000 and use braid.