8fishermen

Casting spoon mods?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I just ordered a Do it casting spoon mold in the ¼, ½, ¾, and 1 ounce size. Already had the 1 ½ and 2 ounce. The ¾ swims ok. Actually caught a largemouth in my pond test casting it unpainted. The ½ and ¼ need a little help if they are going to swim well. It got dark before i could play around with them. 

I read an artical that said a split ring or snap would help a spoon swim a little better. I am thinking of flattening the line end a little to see if more surface area up front will help. 

Does anyone have a tip or trick to get little lead spoons to swim better? Would tin swim better? Any other mods?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been looking at this mold myself.  Hows the action on them??  Can you describe it at all?  

I have the diamond jig mold in that size and 1 1/2/2oz. I prefer tin over lead.   I've been fishing them alittle like you would fish a slow pitch jig or a bucktail. 

Are you tying directly to the wire loop?  I tie a loop knot or use a clip.  But I want to try using an assist hook up front instead of the hook in the rear.  

Try bending them too.  

Eta- I really want to try their flutter jig mold too. But it's sold out everywhere at the moment.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I've been looking at this mold myself.  Hows the action on them??  Can you describe it at all?  

I have the diamond jig mold in that size and 1 1/2/2oz. I prefer tin over lead.   I've been fishing them alittle like you would fish a slow pitch jig or a bucktail. 

Are you tying directly to the wire loop?  I tie a loop knot or use a clip.  But I want to try using an assist hook up front instead of the hook in the rear.  

Try bending them too.  

Eta- I really want to try their flutter jig mold too. But it's sold out everywhere at the moment.  

The ¾ has a decent wobble at moderate speeds.

The ½ and ¼ need a moderate fast retrieve to activate them. Not ripping it back in, but a pretty fast retrieve.

I will be fishing and swinging these in current so the current will help with action. I'm experimenting in my stillwater pond trying to get the wiggle dialed in. 

I'll try rings/clips and bending today. 

Edited by 8fishermen

I have tried multiple combos and so far the winner is a snap or a split ring and a bend in the spoons. Works excellent in the ¼ through the 1 oz. They seem to swim better with this combo than direct tired to the wire loop. Snap swivels came in second but the added length seemed to absorb some of the side to side motion. 

Catching bad and bluegill on the ¼ and ½. 

PXL_20210919_150532810.jpg

Bending the spoon and adding split ring to the front is there ticket so far. A steady retrieve or a stop and drop on Simi tight line to trigger strikes works very well. 

I will paint these with industrial waterborne alkid urethane so the coating will flex when bending and adjusting. 

Can't wait to put these in the current at our local spillway. 

PXL_20210919_161342056.jpg

I add a single hook dressed with bucktail or marabou. To that a nice thin strip of pork rind or something similar, or you

could add either one or the other alone. It adds a wiggling tail, which adds a lot of appeal. You could also add a piece of soft plastic worm. You get the idea. Good luck.

One thing i will add... They run alot shallower than i expected. Most of the fish i caught today i saw come up from below and actually got to watch the eat. These smaller ones will be perfect for our shallow spillway with riprap bottom when minimum flow is being released. 

Almost any flat spoon type lure will run shallow.  Nature of the beast.  

Besides bending the body, use as little tail as practical.  Too much hook, hair, plastic, etc. will snub the action.

Finally got some extra dough and ordered this mold along with another sinker mold.  

Can't wait to mess with them over the winter.