spitzlure14

Can you make fly rods out of spin rods?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi, I’m new to fly fishing and I was wondering if anyone makes fly rods out of old spin rods?

If so, how do you estimate the rod wt and how do you select rods in general?

Thanks 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Go to the search field and poke around in old two hand (TH) rod threads.  Carp spinning rods are often used.  Specialty blanks from some manufacturers can be o.k. provided that they have sufficient power and stiff tips.  Forum members RedGreen and Mike Oliver can help you out depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Or start here, and follow the links to other threads:

Eventually you will find this thread...it's a must read.

Edited by Killiefish

I built two fly rods this spring out of two different 7’6” Rodgeeks blanks. They both throw 9-10 line wts. They are similar to the old g loomis short stix. 

66C597B5-E5F2-4C8E-924D-204EDF0DD892.jpeg

On a conventional surf rod you can add a reel seat to the bottom of the butt.  Have two reel seats and use it as a Combo. Surf  don’t even touch the guides. 

On 9/18/2021 at 1:10 PM, spitzlure14 said:

Hi, I’m new to fly fishing and I was wondering if anyone makes fly rods out of old spin rods?

Thanks 

you do not need to strip anything,just ad fly reel on any spining rod and can use that as fly rod.

or you can use spining reel for fly fishing.

you do not need fly line you can use 40# big game mono on any reel and main think what make the fly fishing,buy shooting head,floating,sinking,intermediate,what ever you like and that will fish like 2handed fly rod,much easier fishing ,same fishing but les work.

main think you have to find what is maximum load for that rod.

how heavy sinker can you cast with that rod,then you convert grams to grain and now you know what weight shooting head you need.

i prefer fly reel seat like spining rod seat high not low,it work beter.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/18/2021 at 10:10 AM, spitzlure14 said:

....how do you estimate the rod wt and how do you select rods in general?

Thanks 

Google the common cents system - this is a method to evaluate a blank to determine what it's power, action and flex pattern are, and also to determine the approximate loading, i.e. grain weight range, that won't overload the blank.  It's a scientific method that ends up with an approximation. 

Or if you want a decently (IMO) accurate rule of thumb, take the lower end the rod's weight range in oz (e.g. for a spinning rod you want to convert) and convert to grains (online conversion tool), then add and subtract around 10 to 15 percent.  So a typical (10-11ft) 1-4 oz spinning rod can handle around  ~440g +/- with an approximate range of around 375g to 500g.  The top end of that could be for water loaded casting (single spey), and the lower for pure overhead casting with a distance line (like an Airflo 40+, with the grains measured at 30ft of the front) , and a lot of line out of the tip.   I generally like an 11wt tarpon line for an easy match with a 10-11ft rod, rated at 1-4 or 1-5 oz.  These rods tend to like around 425 to 465g head weight.  For shorter range casting a 10wt or 11wt Rio OBS.  YMMV.

Edited by Killiefish

On 9/18/2021 at 1:10 PM, spitzlure14 said:

Thanks 

Unless you have rod building/refinishing experience...no, not worth the effort. I've converted a few, but I've always built my own surf rods so it's only my curiosity and free time that's satisfied. No experience building TH fly rods, but for SH application I've found optimal grain wt/performance from the conversion is 2/3 the max lure wt rating on the blank. 

I’ve used Forecast SPG fiberglass spinning blanks to make short 6’ 4-6 wts.  Really fun for panfish, bass, and small brushy trout streams.  Here’s my latest which is 6’3” 1 piece.

C285FA17-BAE1-4DB1-8E89-12C94940C650.jpeg.7d61fc04288c386775b20ce3e22db56e.jpeg

221E8FDF-EA07-48BB-8D45-7F2D41C6BFA8.jpeg