JRT

Hardy Zane Pro - thoughts?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm not usually one for current top of line rods but I can get one of these in a 9wt at a significant discount. I have a couple of Hardy Zephrus SWS which I love but info on the Zane Pro is limited (other than those useless Trident videos). Does have any experience with these? 

Edited by JRT

Can't help you on the Zane Pro but based on my positive experience with Hardy rods I'm curious myself. Currently my only Hardy is an 11wt Proaxis which I like very much.

I would compare it to the sage salt HD i have both rods in a 11wt both rods cast very well 60 to 90ft with a 12wt floater both are very similar in weight, the zane pro have not been tested yet but I have no doubt it can handle a l00lbs poon.I like the hardware more on the PRO especially their ceramic titanium recoil guides.

I have the Zane Pro in 7/9/10.  I went with the Zane Pro because Hardy has a reputation for building durable rods.  The action is on the moderate side which suits my needs.  

I used flats pro in 6/8/9 on these rods making them true to wt.  Just started experimenting with TAC Balanced Taper in 7/9/10 which are half heavy lines with longer heads.  

Hardy still builds a 1 pc. and I hope to try those out next year.

Try casting one and see if you like it.

Also, had my best year of fishing on the 9 wt:

B04DEF58-666B-4578-85F0-530D45271ADB.jpeg

1346EAFE-FAF5-487B-B6EA-85DF96CF3754.jpeg

663316E8-A72F-461D-A0B9-7BAA2A3ABF27.jpeg

Edited by BrokeOff

Awesome thanks. I got the rod and will try it on the lawn this w/e. I had to buy it blind as its not from a retailer but I love the fit and finish.

@Brokeoff - lovely permit mate (and bonefish, striper).

Edited by JRT

Good luck with the rod.  I've been a fan of Hardy rods for a while now, since I first fished the Proaxis prototypes.  I have a bunch of the Proaxis Sintrix and now some of the Zephrus (in 11, my new favorite big game fly rod) and if Hardy continues their ways it should be a good rod.  Let us know how you like it.

I am a fan of Hardy rods. The Zane Pro and a greatly reduced price would be pretty much a steal. Enjoy the rod and best of luck with it because it's so accommodating and so easy to cast that I can't imagine too many people not liking it. 

Also just because it's a touch slower doesn't mean it doesn't cast as far or further than most rods out there. More than likely you will enjoy casting it quite a bit more than some of the other rods that compete with it.