z-man

Mice chewing wires

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone have a good way to stop mice from chewing wires. I went to take my boat out today and was greeted to this disaster. Check out that green wire that is completely gone. 

1A95AD7B-F3F7-4BE1-A6EE-E974F841AF3B.jpeg

Edited by Sudsy

First you need to kill the mice. Don’t be organic about it. It’s a waste of time. Go straight to poison. Also peppermint oil repels mice And should keep them from coming back.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Keep a cat in your boat... only half joking.

I had all the wires from my controls chewed out of my old boat one winter. Another winter I had a 4" section of fuel line eaten completely through.

For the past 4 years there has been a cat living in my boat over the winters and I have not had a problem although it did look like it gave birth in there last winter. Lot easier to power was than re-wire.

I still throw poison packs in every winter but they have gone untouched.

Edited by DAQ

13 mins ago, DAQ said:

Keep a cat in your boat... only half joking.

I had all the wires from my controls chewed out of my old boat one winter. Another winter I had a 4" section of fuel line eaten completely through.

For the past 4 years there has been a cat living in my boat over the winters and I have not had a problem although it did look like it gave birth in there last winter. Lot easier to power was than re-wire.

I still throw poison packs in every winter but they have gone untouched.

Where do I get one of these boat cats? This didn’t happen over the winter though. It just happened in the last few weeks since the last time I had the cover off. 

Mice hate Fabric softener pads like Bounce.  I recently found mice in my shed and sprayed a mint spray that we use in the garden, they took off almost immediately and have not been back since.

Had the same thing happen to my wife's car last winter, and not covered under warranty.

peppermint spray and a box of moth balls...stuff the mothballs in crevices and under the console. Most light gauge wiring manufactured in the last 20yrs uses soybean filler in the production of the jacketing, they love it under the hood of my customers cars too...usually only the cars that are driven very infrequently.

1 hour ago, surfrat59 said:

Most light gauge wiring manufactured in the last 20yrs uses soybean filler in the production of the jacketing, 

Does that include marine-grade wire?

5 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

If you keep your boat outside it is probably squirrels not mice doing the damage.

Could be both. My yard is infested with mice, chipmunks and squirrels because of my neighbors bird feeders. 

I put dryer sheets all over the boat in the winter. It probably works for a little while until the scent goes away. 

I fixed most of today’s damage with a lot of electrical tape and some heat shrink crimps. They chewed through the transducer cable too which I don’t think is repairable. 

I need some type of metal wrap to go over the wires. To keep them from chewing on them.

My guy used BX to wire mine. Not pretty to look at . Also will rust over time. I'm going to hit it with rustoleum primer and give it a couple days and then get some shrink wrap tape and do  it all over every  inch of it. Each cabinet and drawer  in the cabin has a small glass jar stuffed with cotton balls and soaked with mint extract. Two bennies. NO rodents or musty smell.. Win win for the Polock... 

The dryer sheets do work and so does Irish Spring soap. 

I put paper bowls of the shredded soap in boats and cars for storage and it works great. 

I use the coarse side of a cheese grater. 

So nobody's gonna address the whole title of the thread thing?

Really?.....11 posts in and it's all fabric towels, mint spray and mothballs.   :kook:

1 hour ago, flylikabird said:

So nobody's gonna address the whole title of the thread thing?

Really?.....11 posts in and it's all fabric towels, mint spray and mothballs.   :kook:

Instead of criticizing everyone else's posts (which many work well to deter mice btw), where's your superior advice?

Very hard to keep mice from wire insulation, the soybean in the insulation is the problem. I put my trailer wires in tight conduit, good so far