JohnW93

Undertow

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Quick question,

I was out last night and the undertow was really strong. Didn’t really matter what I threw, it was dragged into the sand as I got to the lip of the beach. How would you handle a situation like that? 

Posted (edited)

2oz bucktail, bottle, darter, 2oz tin

idk why guys are fishing western ss open beach 

Edited by GarbageFish

2 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

2oz bucktail, bottle, darter, 2oz tin

idk why guys are fishing western ss open beach 

Well, I only have a year of experience under my belt. Learning as I go. 

What’s wrong with fishing western SS open beach right now? 

Usually an undertow pulls you down and pushes you away from the beach, getting back on sand can be a chore. A rip current will wash you out to sea, like being in a tube, sideways are not an option.

So, if I were fishing an area where the undertow was strong, I'd be using jigs and shads to try and wash into those troughs or hit them sideways, cast horizontal to the beach over the first wave. and bring your lure in across the beach instead of straight in and out.

For a rip current, fish the edges where it lessens its pull, if any baitfish got caught in the siphon going out, thats where the action could be. Biggest thing for you, be alert and stay away from where its sketchy, especially alone.  Knee deep is usually enough anyway. 

All this talking of fishing its about time to start the morning and evening patrol to keep an eye on progress or not.