Surfinator

Outbound Short/BVK

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Im thinking about trying the OBS on my 8wt BVK. Anyone have any experience with that combo ? I read that some guys say to underline and others say to match it to the rod. There are no fly shops around me so I will be buying blind. Any help is appreciated.

Can you weigh the head on a line you currently have and like, probably the easiest way. I know the BVK has a reputation of not being as tough as the Ticr and Ticrx before it, so I would think 300gn or a little less. Basing that opinion on my 8wt Ticrx which throws a 350gn head. 

18 mins ago, surfrat59 said:

Can you weigh the head on a line you currently have and like, probably the easiest way. I know the BVK has a reputation of not being as tough as the Ticr and Ticrx before it, so I would think 300gn or a little less. Basing that opinion on my 8wt Ticrx which throws a 350gn head. 

Ive been using Rio Striper Floating 280gr.  Mostly fishing from a boat with weighted flys (clouser etc).

57 mins ago, Surfinator said:

Ive been using Rio Striper Floating 280gr.  Mostly fishing from a boat with weighted flys (clouser etc).

7wt Outbound is 275 gn, 8wt 325gn...sounds like the 7 is a good match.

9 hours ago, Surfinator said:

Im thinking about trying the OBS on my 8wt BVK. Anyone have any experience with that combo ? I read that some guys say to underline and others say to match it to the rod. There are no fly shops around me so I will be buying blind. Any help is appreciated.

Not sure what area you usually fish...or how soon you're looking to get a new line.  I fish south Jersey a good bit and have an 8wt Outbound short intermediate you could try but not sure on my schedule.  Theres also a guy on the auction site selling a bunch of Outbound short lines.  I bought a few off him last month (actually bought that 8wt line from there)

Alternatively, you can get a knock off Outbound short on the auction site too...think they go for like 20 each.  You could probably try a 7 and an 8 and then pick one.  If I remember right, they were only floating lines, but maybe a good way to decide before dropping the money on a Rio

56 mins ago, PSUFly said:

Not sure what area you usually fish...or how soon you're looking to get a new line.  I fish south Jersey a good bit and have an 8wt Outbound short intermediate you could try but not sure on my schedule.  Theres also a guy on the auction site selling a bunch of Outbound short lines.  I bought a few off him last month (actually bought that 8wt line from there)

Alternatively, you can get a knock off Outbound short on the auction site too...think they go for like 20 each.  You could probably try a 7 and an 8 and then pick one.  If I remember right, they were only floating lines, but maybe a good way to decide before dropping the money on a Rio

Thanks for the info on the cheap lines. I'll have to check it out. How far south do fish ?

10 hours ago, Surfinator said:

Thanks for the info on the cheap lines. I'll have to check it out. How far south do fish ?

As far south as Cape may...I usually fish between LBI and Cape may county. 

I have a 6wt BVK that I use for freshwater...I think I have one of those cheap Outbound short lines in a 6wt.  I can see how the BVK handles that.  

On 9/19/2021 at 9:22 AM, PSUFly said:

As far south as Cape may...I usually fish between LBI and Cape may county. 

I have a 6wt BVK that I use for freshwater...I think I have one of those cheap Outbound short lines in a 6wt.  I can see how the BVK handles that.  

Cool I'm mostly around Mystic Island/Great Bay.