New career choice: Striped bass "influencer"

Rate this topic

CWitek

19 hours ago, OnlyChunk said:

There isn't a ton of money in surfcasting in general. Guys just do it for free fishing gear and a little clout. Spot burning is the side affect of these youtubers and Instagram "influencers".

I remember, going back 30-40 years, when Salt Water Sportsman made the decision to stop running articles on surf fishing. The reason? Ad money. It was seen as a penny ante game, compared to boating, electronics, and resort traveling. Guys on sites like this get blowback for spending a grand on a Saltiga. To a guy with a Bertram 61, that's pocket change.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

On 10/1/2021 at 9:01 PM, OnlyChunk said:

There isn't a ton of money in surfcasting in general. Guys just do it for free fishing gear and a little clout.

That's because of the guys willing to do it for free gear and a little clout....

Imagine if every content creator blurred out the gear they were using............in every video published........

The surf casting market is massive.....

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

21 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

That's because of the guys willing to do it for free gear and a little clout....

Imagine if every content creator blurred out the gear they were using............in every video published........

In the old Lyman/Woolner days of Salt Water Sportsman, writers were prohibited from mentioning a product in any article that they wrote.

Ahh, for the good old days...

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

11 hours ago, CWitek said:

In the old Lyman/Woolner days of Salt Water Sportsman, writers were prohibited from mentioning a product in any article that they wrote.

Ahh, for the good old days...

Wish it was like that now.  Now a days every fishing (or hunting… or almost anything else) article is like forced online window shopping. 

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2021 at 0:33 PM, scoobydoo said:

the surfcasting market is not massive. if the market was massive, striped bass would currently have gamefish status in a few states in the northeast. 

On 9/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, BG_NJ said:

I think some of you guys overestimate how large of a loyal following one needs to achieve to make some nice earnings, even if it's not enough to "quit your day job"...

Many people who like you, value what you produce, and consume it often will be happy to contribute $5 a month .... Just 1k-2k people who are interested in what you're doing from THE WHOLE WORLD and you're already close to a decent corporate starting salary for a young person...

At 20-25k subscribers at this level, you will make in a month more than most people make in a year..

Doesn't mean it's easy but it's tied to effort/skill/passion/consistency and certainly not a lightning strike

I just dont see any job social media related as being stable enough to take the risk and forgo the traditional career route. What happens when the fad is over and theres no money in it anymore? Move on to the next social media fad? I dont like the idea of my income flow being dictated by whatever policy change youtube decides to implement this month. I'd encourage the kid to do what makes him happy as a hobby and not set his expectations that hes going to one day raise a family and start a retirement fund on income from striped bass fishing videos. I know there are people out there that are successful doing this but there are far more who are not. 

39 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

I just dont see any job social media related as being stable enough to take the risk and forgo the traditional career route. What happens when the fad is over and theres no money in it anymore? Move on to the next social media fad? I dont like the idea of my income flow being dictated by whatever policy change youtube decides to implement this month. I'd encourage the kid to do what makes him happy as a hobby and not set his expectations that hes going to one day raise a family and start a retirement fund on income from striped bass fishing videos. I know there are people out there that are successful doing this but there are far more who are not. 

Why not take a risk while you’re young? If it doesn’t work out then he’ll have 45 more years to get a real job. 

7 hours ago, z-man said:

Why not take a risk while you’re young? If it doesn’t work out then he’ll have 45 more years to get a real job. 

I'm sure it's not fun playing life catchup in your 30s and retiring at age 77. If that's the risk involved I'd want the cards stacked more in my favor.

28 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

I'm sure it's not fun playing life catchup in your 30s and retiring at age 77. If that's the risk involved I'd want the cards stacked more in my favor.

The kid could also become a millionaire by age 25. That seems like a decent risk plus he’ll enjoy his job unlike most people who spend most of their lives working a job they don’t like.