CWitek

New career choice: Striped bass "influencer"

Rate this topic

283 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

From the Boston Globe.

I'm not going to add any personal comments, but given how the article struck me, I just figured that I'd share.

MANCHESTER-BY-THE-SEA — It’s 4 a.m. and 18-year-old Finn Hawley is in a shed behind his house, doing what he does most days, which is preparing to go fishing for striped bass.

Hawley is a lanky teen, just under 6 feet 4 inches tall, and despite the pre-dawn hour, he has an unapologetic enthusiasm about him as he rushes around getting his gear together. All around him are rods and reels, waders and wetsuits, and he is quickly selecting lures from the dozens that hang neatly above a work table and stuffing them into his plug bag.

“The fall run is heating up and there’s some big fish out there,” he says with a racing excitement.

As he gets ready to pile into his pickup truck and head out toward the surf, he grabs perhaps his most important piece of gear — a waterproof backpack full of camera equipment.

That’s because Hawley is attempting something that has really never been done before. He’s hoping to carve out a career as an “influencer” in the world of striper fishing.Finn Hawley prepared his fishing gear in the shed outside his home in Manchester-by-the-Sea.

Finn Hawley prepared his fishing gear in the shed outside his home in Manchester-by-the-Sea.CRAIG F. WALKER/GLOBE STAFF

The premier saltwater game fish of the Northeastern United States, the striped bass is the centerpiece of a massive recreational fishing industry. But what it does not have, unlike many other outdoor activities, is a face to go with it, the person you think of when you think of chasing stripers.

Edited by TimS
Had to shorten it up as we don't promote social media channels, commercial websites, Instagram or YouTube channels here

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

That's the one great thing about Cape Ann. You got the room to Rock Hop. So now, the influencer is going to influence others to his area where other non-influencers have kept their mouths shut. Soon the young lad will learn giving it all away has severe consequences to the anglers and the Bass. 

It's all about the Fame that he's getting now.

Just now, foxfai said:

It's all about the Fame that he's getting now.

It all over rated. Been there done that. Big fish change people. Always has, always will. 

Maybe its a west coast thing, but why not be a fishing guide?  If I ever get to the east coast, I would likely look up a local guide to fish safely with.

When I first started reading that it seemed kind of dumb to try to make a career out of being a fishing influencer but after reading that he has learning disabilities maybe it will be the best choice for him. Good luck to him. 

Just what we need some young *sshat trying to make a name for himself with a crashing fishery. I don't understand why people would ever want to put themselves out like that/ draw that kind of attention.

Lets invade his area. Follow him around like he's the pied piper. We can all line up when he comes out of his shed and he can be like Moses when he comes out. Part the dock. 

6B61D898-B05F-4E86-BDAC-4108FEBFFC01.gif

If this kid plans to represent the issues and the fishery with regard for both...then let him make a name for him self and reach a new generation of fishermen an women with a conservation first mentality.  

Too much of what's out there is branding, marketing and money and not enough conservation and education for the fish.  If he can make that his mantra then I dont really have a problem with it beyond whatever spotburning he may or may not be guilty of.

Edited by DeepBlue85

The only issue I have with him is that he does spot burn. Cape Ann this cape ann that is a spot burn, no reason to be that specific. I bet the amount of people who fish cape ann is up like 200% since he started posting and it's no different than the rest of the north shore but now it's bordering on canal crowded. It will be unfishable very soon if he keeps this up.

Know he’s gonna get a lot of hate for this piece, but I had a nice conversation with him last summer.  He and his brother put together some of the best quality surfcasting footage I’ve seen.  It’s definitely not an easy process, especially given the state of the fishery.  They worked their asses off.

If my kids are interested in film production, marketing or working in the fishing industry, I’d have no problem with them following their passion for a few summers, especially during lockdown.  They’d cover their tracks better and show more respect for the fishery, but I can’t hate on a kid like him for pursuing his love of the sport. 

I went to the ###### and *******ed the name in the post. 1100 views for his movie. I don't think this young fellow is a communist threat. 

The production qualities are pretty high which makes for some interesting and sometimes humorous contrasts. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

That's the one great thing about Cape Ann. You got the room to Rock Hop. So now, the influencer is going to influence others to his area where other non-influencers have kept their mouths shut. Soon the young lad will learn giving it all away has severe consequences to the anglers and the Bass. 

You would think, right? All of these YouTubers out there keep at it. It's not hard to pin their location if you have a general idea of the area and satellite imagery. 

Most of this new generation only pay attention to monitors. It's how they interact with the world. Kids love to see themselves in a video. It helps them feel like they matter and it makes them feel important. 

I would bet most younger people love all the fishing video content that's on youtube and wherever else these days. I don't hold anything against what this kid is doing. If other kids want to watch his videos and be a fan of his, then let him rock the cameras and film his life. 

I'll happily fish alone or with a good buddy, not waste my time watching  and continue to do my thing. Let the little guy run around with his camera and hop on rocks and scream for joy when he catches a schoolie, then give all his wonderful insights to the millions of fascinated viewers, those who live vicariously though his posts.