occasional_surfcaster

Warm attire for surf fishing

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Do not believe in neo waders or tops for North East surf fishing, 90% of the time you'll be soaked in sweat and the waders are heavy  sponges full of water. A pair of breathable waders, either some wool socks or whatever specialized new fangled polywhatever they have now, I use wool. Not too many layers, I prefer only 1 pair of socks, some wear  2.  A friend swore on battery operated heated socks, not for me. For pants, fleece or light sweats or on cold nights Under Armour dry gear with fleece/ light sweats, again be careful about sweating, after all, you'll be working (fishing) and maybe walking which heats you up and waders add to the heat. I just don't find it cold until its under 30 with wind or any cold rain. 

For tops, a semi- dry top if your not taking waves, hoods help a a lot in either case. Personally, dry tops for me are too restrictive, I hate having a gasket around my neck, however, if your taking waves you need it. I only take on rain and spray, so a semi-dry top is all I want. Bomber makes a good one, get a kayak top, should run around $150 or so for a good one. And buy it big enough to go over a light dry gear shirt and at least one sweatshirt, maybe 2 on nasty cold stuff. 

Gloves and hats, a navy watch cap on cold nights, other wise a ball cap or nada. Gloves, always a problem, have settled on fingerless Kenai on the coldest of nights (under 30) or Army Wool Glove Inserts, still leave some touch and stay warm until they get wet, need to try and keep em' dry as long as possible, Good part is they are $5 a pair so a half dozen pair are good to have on hand.  Tried most of the latest and greatest , most are neo, your fingers will be frozen in short time, rubber insulated are best but you couldn't feel a ball bat in your hands.

Now, if your gonna fish Pulaski in December or January, thats another world, arctic gear is needed.

This is great info. I have not found a glove solution I really like. Trying different options feels like a constant 3 way trade off between warmth/dryness/finger mobility

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, occasional_surfcaster said:

I fish mainly on Long Island (NY)  and gonna use fishing jacket during cold spring and fall morning and nights

Unless you’re sitting with bait (even debatable), breathable will work best. It’s the most flexible way imo. Like stated already, tee shirt and breathable jacket for all but the hottest days, and add on from there. Or buying redundantly. I use a breathable guy Cotten no zip gasket hood for combat fishing, and a Simms zip for everything else.

Edited by phishallways

8 hours ago, occasional_surfcaster said:

I fish mainly on Long Island (NY)  and gonna use fishing jacket during cold spring and fall morning and nights

In the fall on a chilly or cold day, I wear poly fleese sweat pants, poly underarmour t shirt. Over that I wear a shirt, sweat shirt , and then a nylon sock and then a nice pair of wool socks. Liner helps keep sweat  away from your feet. I  wear breathable boot foot waders. Then if it's gets wild and there is lot of spray, then I wear my Storma neopreen jacket. But as the other forum member said it's best to dress in layers. Tight lines.

columbia force 12 insulated jacket.

Good luck finding one though

They run large

Grundens makes a cheap top with neoprene sleeves to keep the water out. It is not insulated so you need to layer under. This paired with hunting neoprene waders will keep you warm and dry in even WINTER conditions. You need to make sure the waders are BOOT FOOT waders with heavily INSULATED boots. If you can't keep your feet warm you are toast. 

Stormer neoprene jacket or surf top.  Kelly Galloup advised to bring a small towel to dry off your hands when they get wet in the winter.  I find this to be good advise when fishing the in the colder months.  I don't swim to rocks in Jersey and I don't wear gloves.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/17/2021 at 9:24 PM, occasional_surfcaster said:

Hi guys,

Could you recommend any jacket for surf fishing based on your experience? 

I am about to buy stormr but these are really expensive. Are there any affordable substitutes? the jacket should be light, warm, wind and waterproof and possibly breathable. 

I have neoprene waders but can’t find budget jacket.
I mistakenly bought a down jacket for fishing but when landing a fish put my arms into water and sleeves immediately got wet. 

thanks in advance. 

Yes a standard rain jacket like the stormr lightweight shell or even a guy Cotten, basically anything but neoprene that is somewhat breathable and water repellant. That way you can layer more naturally instead of baking and sweating your nuts off inside a neoprene jacket 

I do an under armor cold gear shirt, then a fleece type long sleeve warm shirt (two if it’s absolutely freezing) then a not too heavy sweat shirt then my stormr shell jacket

Edited by linesiderdemdnj

On 9/19/2021 at 9:54 PM, Blank Disc said:

Grundens makes a cheap top with neoprene sleeves to keep the water out. It is not insulated so you need to layer under. This paired with hunting neoprene waders will keep you warm and dry in even WINTER conditions. You need to make sure the waders are BOOT FOOT waders with heavily INSULATED boots. If you can't keep your feet warm you are toast. 

I have a feeling if you walk in all that neoprene with heavy insulation in boots you’re gonna sweat your nads off and end up being miserable

Here is what works for me:

Top:

Some sort of thin base layer (wicks away moisture)

Merino wool sweater (also wicks away moisture and stays warm when wet)

Guy Cotten Surf Top

Bottom:

Orvis Underwader pants

Merino wool socks (I'll put on a super thin SmartWool base layer sock under my main sock if it's super cold)

Breathable waders

I also have a Stormr jacket. I wear it when it's really cold in the winter, usually for ice fishing. I'll wear it wading too, but I don't like to get it wet because it gets heavy and waterlogged.

24 mins ago, Danthe said:

Merino wool is worth its weight in gold. 

Absolutely. All the synthetic materials out there are just mimicking what wool does, at best. A good pair of merino long johns top and bottom and a good merino sweater under your top will get you through a lot of cold nights. 

1 hour ago, Dave the fisherman said:

Here is what works for me:

Top:

Merino wool sweater (also wicks away moisture and stays warm when wet)

Guy Cotten Surf Top

Bottom:

Orvis Underwader pants

Merino wool socks (I'll put on a super thin SmartWool base layer sock under my main sock if it's super cold)

Breathable waders

I also have a Stormr jacket. I wear it when it's really cold in the winter, usually for ice fishing. I'll wear it wading too, but I don't like to get it wet because it gets heavy and waterlogged.

Same set up for me. Merino base layer top and bottom and a merino sweater or fleece vest on top. I use an old soft shell jacket as my splash top which works for most of the fishing I do though I'm thinking of upgrading that this year.