occasional_surfcaster

Warm attire for surf fishing

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Could you recommend any jacket for surf fishing based on your experience? 

I am about to buy stormr but these are really expensive. Are there any affordable substitutes? the jacket should be light, warm, wind and waterproof and possibly breathable. 

I have neoprene waders but can’t find budget jacket.
I mistakenly bought a down jacket for fishing but when landing a fish put my arms into water and sleeves immediately got wet. 

thanks in advance. 

Aftco Reaper Windproof 3L Shell - built in hood and mask...Aftco makes the best bang for buck fishing gear IMO

I rock it on the beach from mid fall to early winter... skiing/snowboarding base layer > Aftco reaper middle layer > Some kind of waterproof top layer 

I go layers of polypro (polartec and such) and breathable outer shell.  Neoprene generates sweat and that makes me colder if I am standing still.

What cold temps are you planing to fish in.  Remenber you get what you pay for. I got my stormr on sale 2 years ago. I love the jacket. I still layer under neat it when it gets real cold. I love it for spary and wind.

Do not believe in neo waders or tops for North East surf fishing, 90% of the time you'll be soaked in sweat and the waders are heavy  sponges full of water. A pair of breathable waders, either some wool socks or whatever specialized new fangled polywhatever they have now, I use wool. Not too many layers, I prefer only 1 pair of socks, some wear  2.  A friend swore on battery operated heated socks, not for me. For pants, fleece or light sweats or on cold nights Under Armour dry gear with fleece/ light sweats, again be careful about sweating, after all, you'll be working (fishing) and maybe walking which heats you up and waders add to the heat. I just don't find it cold until its under 30 with wind or any cold rain. 

For tops, a semi- dry top if your not taking waves, hoods help a a lot in either case. Personally, dry tops for me are too restrictive, I hate having a gasket around my neck, however, if your taking waves you need it. I only take on rain and spray, so a semi-dry top is all I want. Bomber makes a good one, get a kayak top, should run around $150 or so for a good one. And buy it big enough to go over a light dry gear shirt and at least one sweatshirt, maybe 2 on nasty cold stuff. 

Gloves and hats, a navy watch cap on cold nights, other wise a ball cap or nada. Gloves, always a problem, have settled on fingerless Kenai on the coldest of nights (under 30) or Army Wool Glove Inserts, still leave some touch and stay warm until they get wet, need to try and keep em' dry as long as possible, Good part is they are $5 a pair so a half dozen pair are good to have on hand.  Tried most of the latest and greatest , most are neo, your fingers will be frozen in short time, rubber insulated are best but you couldn't feel a ball bat in your hands.

Now, if your gonna fish Pulaski in December or January, thats another world, arctic gear is needed.

Under Armor makes some cold weather spandex type shirts that layer nicely. We used to wear them under our shoulder pads in November. I wear it under my waders. I just picked up a Guy Cotton Montauk surf to go over my wetsuit. I'll try it with my waders the end of October. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hated my stormr stryker for fall. It wasn’t waterproof or breathable but theres no easy solution.  Search through the old posts and consider how wet or dry you’ll be and how long you want to be out late season.  My first dedicated surf jacket was a grundens neptune and it still comes out when it’s pouring and I want to stay dry and won’t be covering ground. Like others have said, for most of my late season breathable waders and top plus UA and wool layers go a long way.  

Hard cold north winds and shty weather makes for some epic nights when you can grind em out. IMO, core temp, merino wool layers, warm up gloves and strategically placed hand warmers are worth more than a stormr.

Edited by Bait Tailer

Patagonia Capleane expedition weight underwheare as a base, avoid anything cotton because it doesn't breath. Goretex outter materials block both wind and water. I fished many times in the low 20's and neoprene kept me warmest. Air circulation around your feet will keep them warmest. One size larger boots and only a single pair of socks. Keep your eye on the Buy/Sell lots of good deals when guys start upgrading.

Edited by XBMX

12 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Do not believe in neo waders or tops for North East surf fishing, 90% of the time you'll be soaked

Breathable everything and layers of properly weighted fleece over an underarmor or like base always works for me. If fishing open beach, my integrated boot foot waders are the warmer choice than my sockfoot waders. I just don’t want to sweat while fishing.

23 hours ago, DaveC said:

I go layers of polypro (polartec and such) and breathable outer shell.  Neoprene generates sweat and that makes me colder if I am standing still.

I use light weight waterproof jacket all year. Underneath a T shirt when it’s warm. Long underwear a shirt and fleece when it’s cold. The key to being warm is a wind proof balaclava and good gloves. Neoprene gloves  don’t keep my hands warm.

EMS used to be great for sales and close outs on Merlino wool and fleece. Don’t know if they still have online sales but the outlets are only in the past.

Edited by phishallways

14 hours ago, hunter123 said:

What cold temps are you planing to fish in.  Remenber you get what you pay for. I got my stormr on sale 2 years ago. I love the jacket. I still layer under neat it when it gets real cold. I love it for spary and wind.

I fish mainly on Long Island (NY)  and gonna use fishing jacket during cold spring and fall morning and nights