RAW

0600 this morning on the beach, nada

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

No, fish, fishermen, birds or any signs of life except for honking geese in the estuary, They were loud. Surprised no one out except for 1 rec. boat. It was windy and much cooler air and water temp. :rav:

69EA01E8-8A89-43D8-ADAF-1150B082939C.jpeg

7BBED19E-2DCF-4DA1-8CDD-E178EEC1E8AA.jpeg

Around Portland the last two nights. Tons of fish.  Hard to make em bite under the moon but managed several.  Last night was the largest mass of fish I’ve seen in a very long time…..all feeding on rain bait and peanuts….the harbor after work tonight looked pretty fishy too lots of bait….

1 hour ago, Plugger207 said:

Around Portland the last two nights. Tons of fish.  Hard to make em bite under the moon but managed several.  Last night was the largest mass of fish I’ve seen in a very long time…..all feeding on rain bait and peanuts….the harbor after work tonight looked pretty fishy too lots of bait….

FEAFC1EA-90E5-4814-99C4-B103573CBB07.gif

Friend fished all day and got one. I showed up after work for s**** and giggles and managed one. After the report above I think I’ll stick around my neck of the woods for a few more nights until I head south to finish off the season :thanks:

16 hours ago, RAW said:

No, fish, fishermen, birds or any signs of life

I can't wait to get to Florida. I KNOW I'll catch fish there! :rav:

Fun in the Fog on Skinny Water...

No need to go to Florida, I've caught every day this week, and had a bang up day today.  Didn't get on the the boat until 6:45 this AM because of low water, but the thick fog helped allay the issue of too much daylight.  Picked up two fish on the way to the secluded cove I was heading for.  When I got outside the cove, I saw fish breaking deep inside so I took the boat into "Bottom Cleaning Mode" with the engine tilted as far up that still allowed water intake and nosed the boat into the cove over the mudflats with only 3' of water.  

I killed the power a bit too far from the breaking fish, figuring the incoming water would get me there eventually.  As I tried to reach them, while cursing at myself, "Dumb F%CK, you could have motored for 5 more seconds!!", a fish broke at the very edge of my casting range.  I launched the best cast I could, ending up within 10 ft of the last break, popped the popper twice and BAM, I was on.  The internal size meter thought it was a 25"ish fish, as it didn't make too much of a fuss and never took off on a long run, which surprised me as there wasn't much water there.  As I kept playing the fish, my guesstimate grew instead of the normal shrinking, but still didn't think it was going to be a keepah, so I didn't get the net ready.  

When I finally got her alongside it was a "HOLY CRAP, that's the biggest fish I've hooked this year!!" moment, and I grabbed the net, which got caught on my pump switch, eliciting extreme panic and many expletives.  Finally cleared the net, netted the fish, and brought her on board, Slot Fish #20 for the season, almost 33" long!!  I figured I'd treat our weekend guests to a nice fresh stripeah dinner tonight, so I bled her out and brought her home.

2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Fun in the Fog on Skinny Water...

No need to go to Florida, I've caught every day this week, and had a bang up day today.  Didn't get on the the boat until 6:45 this AM because of low water, but the thick fog helped allay the issue of too much daylight.  Picked up two fish on the way to the secluded cove I was heading for.  When I got outside the cove, I saw fish breaking deep inside so I took the boat into "Bottom Cleaning Mode" with the engine tilted as far up that still allowed water intake and nosed the boat into the cove over the mudflats with only 3' of water.  

I killed the power a bit too far from the breaking fish, figuring the incoming water would get me there eventually.  As I tried to reach them, while cursing at myself, "Dumb F%CK, you could have motored for 5 more seconds!!", a fish broke at the very edge of my casting range.  I launched the best cast I could, ending up within 10 ft of the last break, popped the popper twice and BAM, I was on.  The internal size meter thought it was a 25"ish fish, as it didn't make too much of a fuss and never took off on a long run, which surprised me as there wasn't much water there.  As I kept playing the fish, my guesstimate grew instead of the normal shrinking, but still didn't think it was going to be a keepah, so I didn't get the net ready.  

When I finally got her alongside it was a "HOLY CRAP, that's the biggest fish I've hooked this year!!" moment, and I grabbed the net, which got caught on my pump switch, eliciting extreme panic and many expletives.  Finally cleared the net, netted the fish, and brought her on board, Slot Fish #20 for the season, almost 33" long!!  I figured I'd treat our weekend guests to a nice fresh stripeah dinner tonight, so I bled her out and brought her home.

Awesome, will be in shorts next 6 months, Most guys with boats have being good, if you know where to go.:witty::rav:

1 hour ago, Nbourque said:

4 hours off the beach this morning. 4 rods soaking bait. Nothing. 

On mornings like that, my old man always says "it's about enjoying the total experience".  I still think it is about the fish, LOL.  If I'm gettin' skunked, I'd rather be enjoying my pillow.

6 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Didn't get on the the boat until 6:45 this AM.......

Key word, BOAT. Used to have one, now I fly fish the beach. I haven't seen or heard of one fish being caught off OOB this summer. Granted I haven't been out as much as in the past but I do have two more weeks to try then I'm off to Naples, where like I say, I KNOW I'll catch fish. :D

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, mickymac said:

Key word, BOAT. Used to have one, now I fly fish the beach. I haven't seen or heard of one fish being caught off OOB this summer. Granted I haven't been out as much as in the past but I do have two more weeks to try then I'm off to Naples, where like I say, I KNOW I'll catch fish. :D

Some clarification regarding "BOAT".   I can't comment regarding fishing OOB, but can comment on specifics as to where I fish.

Yes, I've gone from mostly beach to mostly boat fishing in my later years, but in most instances around here I fish in marshes and estuaries, which are easily reached casting from the banks.  AAMOF, yesterday I was fishing an area accessible by foot from a walking path OR a forest preserve with only a need for a 50' cast from either location.  For me it was a matter of, "Do I schlep down to the boat, grab a rod and some lures, DEET up for tick protection, put the mud boots on, walk across the street, and then navigate through a forest to the banks, or do I just hop on the boat where the gear is and motor around the corner?" 

Truthfully fishing from the bank would have been more effective at yesterday's location in that there is little danger of spooking fish, and it would allow me to start fishing when there was only 18" of water in the cove, not the 36" I prefer for the boat.  Just a matter of choice, not a matter of necessity...

Edited by Roccus7