Danpa

Salted Squid

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Anybody have any thoughts on whether salting squid for bait is a good idea? I've salted clams before and they stay on the hook much better. Squid is firmer but salting may help on warm days versus fresh.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:35 PM, Danpa said:

Anybody have any thoughts on whether salting squid for bait is a good idea? I've salted clams before and they stay on the hook much better. Squid is firmer but salting may help on warm days versus fresh.

Would work in a pinch but fresh will work better. It would only benefit being able to store it longer 

On 9/17/2021 at 4:10 PM, hunter123 said:

All I know is there's nothing like fresh squid. There is senco skipper on you tube who sells salted squid and salted other baits.

He goes by Hey Skipper now. I ordered a slab of salted squid. I like that I can carry it over between trips and it is tough and stays on hook. I might try his salted clams next. He also has salted squid tentacles and shrimp.

It's always an open question, when fresh squid are handy, whether they feed me or the fish. The local Thai place has some superb squid dishes, with big squid that I never see in the local fish store.

11 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

He goes by Hey Skipper now. I ordered a slab of salted squid. I like that I can carry it over between trips and it is tough and stays on hook. I might try his salted clams next. He also has salted squid tentacles and shrimp.

Did it catch for ya?  How thick/big is the slab?  

Last year I salted alot of my leftover baits. Got some fish. But I prefer fresh or live.  

This year if I couldn't get bait I just used GULP.  They store just as well.  

8 hours ago, BrianBM said:

It's always an open question, when fresh squid are handy, whether they feed me or the fish. The local Thai place has some superb squid dishes, with big squid that I never see in the local fish store.

I have this same problem that has progressed to my daughter as well.  

"Dad, can't we just eat the bait..."

12 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

Frank, how mush did he charge for it. I personaly like fresh squid when used, but frozen is good also. Just don't put it in frest water.

Posted (edited) · Report post

And to keep on the hook, use foam and elasticted (bait) cotton or latex

Edited by ZAFisher

3 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Frank, how mush did he charge for it. I personaly like fresh squid when used, but frozen is good also. Just don't put it in frest water.

If memory serves, the slab was $20, clams and tentacles were $18 each. The slab is much larger than my hand and about 1/4" thick. I have just made a dent in it. Had one hookup on it the other day but lost it in the wash. But then nothing else haas been biting for me either. He likes to use the tentacles for trailers on bucktails etc. He sells them in zip loc bags or in his "bait box". He sells the box for $30 and it looks exactly like the $9 one I picked up at Wmart. Like I said at least I know I have something to bait up with when I hit the beach. 

Edited by Frank2104
more info

13 hours ago, BrianBM said:

There is an Asian Market in Marlboro NJ  I buy Fish & Squid for Bait and Table. I have bought  Fresh & Frozen squid Cleaned Body's as big as 16 in long. They have fish I have never seen some from Asia. Fresh -Frozen - Live Tanks. AS far as Salting Squid or even Claims Have no use or need to do it. Same as Fresh or Frozen Bunker. In my area, there are always Fresh supplies. I guess it is since there ONLY some 15 bait shops and that market & Comercial CO-OP  In Belford NJ on the way to fishing. 

Edited by Cheeckakoe

Went through a bunch of frozen squid chunks on the beach this morning. I caught 3 puffer fish. LOL I have been buying 1 pound boxes of frozen squid at a local chain supermarket for about $4. Some for the fish, some for my belly! :)

8 hours ago, Danpa said:

Went through a bunch of frozen squid chunks on the beach this morning. I caught 3 puffer fish. LOL I have been buying 1 pound boxes of frozen squid at a local chain supermarket for about $4. Some for the fish, some for my belly! :)

They whole uncleaned? Come in a paper box?   

I like pulling the heads/guts/tentacles from the tube. 

Tubes goto the kitchen, heads get a circle hook right between the eyes. 

Another thing I've found in the seafood section that works pretty good is raw clam strips.  They come in a tub with briney clam water.    They're about 1/2in wide by 3in long.  I use them on a small bucktail for porgy and such.  Water I mix into chum.