Roccus7

Fall Recreational Cod?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Went out for a quick scout today and picked up a 22" fish in 15 min, along with a sangweech-sized pollock.  Threw them into the cooler with the bass I caught this morning.  I'll let them stiffen up for a while and fillet them all later.  

Anything other than seaweed from shore would make me happy. Made several stops along the NH seacoast yesterday and while I never took a cast, I saw what I would have caught with each retreive. Ocean salad!

Weather hasn’t been cooperating for the most part, but I managed a quick trip out with my daughter on Saturday afternoon to a ledge about a mile and a half from shore.  Two nice keeper cod and a bonus 19” pollock, biggest pollock I’ve ever seen so close to shore. Had a few mackerel on the jigs too.  We used light spinning gear with 2500 size reels and 10 lb braid, so we got some good fights out of the fish. 

It was almost too rough for comfort with a kid on board, but she didn’t mind it a bit, said she was having fun on the roller coaster!

5048164F-72F0-4BE1-9130-E77AF40C4FFE.jpeg

41A6FAB5-75BD-44B5-9EBD-76641CF93684.jpeg

77B24115-9142-424D-82F5-BADBAB7B9411.jpeg

On 9/27/2021 at 11:09 AM, TwoLightsKid said:

Two nice keeper cod and a bonus 19” pollock, biggest pollock I’ve ever seen so close to shore. Had a few mackerel on the jigs too.

Almost a carbon copy of this today for me, but my pollock was 18", still the biggest inshore one ever, and I had to release my bigger cod since I had already kept a 24" one that I bled out earlier.  I wish it was only a FEW mackerel for me, had a devil of a time trying to get through them to get down to the cod and must have caught ~30 or more.

However, I DID cull a Bucket List Fish out of the mass of mackerel, a BONITO!!  Was only 10" long, and took me a second to realize what it was.  I was frustrated with all the macks and tried shaking it off the hook when the emergency systems kicked in, "Hey MORON!!  That's really green!!  It's a Bonito, not a mack!!"  That caused me to gingerly unhook the bonito and gently release it, instead of tossing it to the gulls parked around me like I had been doing with the mackerel, cunners, micro pollock and small redfish...