flyrad10

Questions on wet wading with two handed rod

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

dk

The belt might be fabulous but those open line trays just suck like Billyo with surf rolling over our bodies unless we wade pretty shallow.

Macrame is a pursuit best played out on dry land. :howdy: The ocean she be a very cruel mistress and top draw piss  taker of man.

oly

Edited by Mike Oliver

On 9/17/2021 at 10:53 AM, Oakman said:

Specific enough that I'll put the fork down.  

I always carry a basket, with 3/4" holes along the front so it drains really fast in the surf.  Yes it fills when wading deep but I always use a floating running line so I just coil into the water the the basket contains.  If I'm wading that deep that there's water in the basket, I don't need to cast that far anyway so not too much running line to deal with.  I suspect you could use the hand coils the river guys use, but they have a constant flow of water in a constant direction that helps keep things in order, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use that technique with water above their waist, but I'm not that coordinated so never bothered to try and learn.

Any preference on basket brand or homemade?

5 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Any preference on basket brand or homemade?

I use the Orvis basket, because it was the best available and easy to find when I bought it.  I'd give the one with a curved front a try if I had to get another one, maybe.  The Orvis fits nicely in the bottom of my wader bag with my boots and I put my belt, plyers etc in it there for travel.

Edited by Oakman

52 mins ago, Oakman said:

I use the Orvis basket, because it was the best available and easy to find when I bought it.  I'd give the one with a curved front a try if I had to get another one, maybe.  The Orvis fits nicely in the bottom of my wader bag with my boots and I put my belt, plyers etc in it there for travel.

I like the Orvis, bought the Bean one years ago & it does the job better than any of the old dish pan versions I've made thoughout history.  It looks like the new Bean models have overflow holes.

https://cdni.llbean.net/is/image/wim/304224_0_45?hei=1092&wid=950&resMode=sharp2&defaultImage=llbstage/A0211793_2

I think Ill take a stab making a flexistripper tray.  I think that would be handy with the 2 handers on streams

Edited by Panzon