flyrad10

Questions on wet wading with two handed rod

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

When you two handed fishermen wet wade with a wet suit or other suit do you always carry a shooting basket or tray? When you wade deep with a wetsuit can you coil line for shooting without  a basket using a two hander? How?  I hope no one stabes the back of their hand with a fork instead of answering  this question.

Edited by flyrad10
Extra word out of place

Not sure this is of any help to you as I rarely use a basket -single hand or two handed, just don't like them- having said that when I am wading in a river/bay up to my waist or chest I just try and coil line in left hand and when getting ready to cast toss the coil up stream of what ever way tide is moving- I never used a wet suit so I can't speak to that.  

Specific enough that I'll put the fork down.  

I always carry a basket, with 3/4" holes along the front so it drains really fast in the surf.  Yes it fills when wading deep but I always use a floating running line so I just coil into the water the the basket contains.  If I'm wading that deep that there's water in the basket, I don't need to cast that far anyway so not too much running line to deal with.  I suspect you could use the hand coils the river guys use, but they have a constant flow of water in a constant direction that helps keep things in order, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use that technique with water above their waist, but I'm not that coordinated so never bothered to try and learn.

No TH experience here, but curious. If wading that deep can you effectively still use the lower hand to pull or does water resistance against your arm hinder the cast?  I've waded chest deep in the bay with a floating running line SH and it works, grass and weed fouling the running line in the water usually not a factor at that distance from shore. And as Oakman said, you've already cut the distance to target so alot of running line isn't dragging the surface anyway.

If I'm chest deep with the two hander, I'm usually not stripping a whole lot, it becomes more of a Tenkara game.  You can roll cast an amazing amount of line with these rods.  Otherwise just think of  moving the casting stroke up your side like the next floor on the elevator, generally there is less range of motion in this position but all the casting intentions stay the same.

3 hours ago, Oakman said:

If I'm chest deep with the two hander, I'm usually not stripping a whole lot, it becomes more of a Tenkara game.  You can roll cast an amazing amount of line with these rods.  Otherwise just think of  moving the casting stroke up your side like the next floor on the elevator, generally there is less range of motion in this position but all the casting intentions stay the same.

So more 45 or 60 degree to the vertical for lack of a better description...shoulda paid more attention when we fished together! Only reason I ask bought a switch rod this spring and eventually I'll play with TH overhead and roll casts. Hows life in the country treating you bro...

No good question.  I take a line tray with me. For water up to waist deep and a bit more the line tray is helpful. But in a surf you will get messed with it’s part of the game. You get frustrated by it or enjoy the challenge.

Much  over waist deep then I throw the line tray up the beach. At this point I am probably bobbing along with the sweep. When I cast its a case of pushing off the bottom and just trying to get the job done. My rods are 13 or 14 foot long. I can tip cast off them pretty well.  Bobby you can still use your bottom hand if you know which way is up or down. LOL. Trying to coil line like a Steelheaders well you can try if you want. You are climbing up the sides of waves being rolled about usual stuff in the ocean. So I don’t fish a great deal of the line back. It’s just pulled back and released into the froth. Yep it floats around and screws up at times,

Main reason to be wading this deep is when chasing breaking fish. You just get drawn out to them. It’s basically frantic fun.

You won’t see too many guys doing this sadly.

mik

I use a basket unless I’m casting from a boat or shore, dock, or etc. where I can just pile it up. I don’t know how people are coiling 100+ feet of line in their hand and casting well.

i also don’t wade much above waist level and waders only. If you’re wetsuiting and deep wading between rocks, you’re probably not casting at the same time you’re neck deep in water. I’m assuming you’re climbing on a rock before casting.

7 mins ago, Stripsettter said:

I use a basket unless I’m casting from a boat or shore, dock, or etc. where I can just pile it up. I don’t know how people are coiling 100+ feet of line in their hand and casting well.

i also don’t wade much above waist level and waders only. If you’re wetsuiting and deep wading between rocks, you’re probably not casting at the same time you’re neck deep in water. I’m assuming you’re climbing on a rock before casting.

You might very well assume that, being as you have a modicum of common sense, but then again, you have never seen Mr. Oliver with breaking fish on the horizon. . . his eyes kind of glaze over and little marks of spittle form at the corners of his mouth, he starts to twitch all over and breaks into a sort of hopping, looping gait at he makes for the mark. Good Lord no time to climb onto a rock, get the fly in front of the fish no matter what it takes.  Floating neck deep, he gulp for air as he bounces off the bottom, casting as his shoulders pop above the surface.  Simple and effective.

I use a drilled normal basket that works great in water to 3-3.5’ after that depth the basket becomes clumsy up in your face .being tall I can get out deeper , but a better caster with a single or 2 hand need not go out that deep. I have seen homemade baskets/ Tupperware 6x9” or so sink trays used (think someone mentioned tray) . My big problem is keeping cigar dry:rav:

On 2021-09-18 at 3:11 AM, Mike Oliver said:

You won’t see too many guys doing this sadly.

mik

You won't see too many "sane" guys?  P

On 21/09/2021 at 3:28 PM, ccb said:

Mike that Oakman has your moves down to a T 

He does it’s true. In a year or twos time I may not be able to do this stuff anymore. But until then.........

Mike

On 22/09/2021 at 0:52 PM, Suave said:

You won't see too many "sane" guys?  P

P

Na they just lack the love of the ocean and the spirit of adventure. Minds too closed. Must not get wet syndrome rules.

mikey