Danthe

Big bait = big fish. Little bait = little fish

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Heavy riggin or light riggin? 

It think I’d rather catch 20-3 pounders than 3-20 pounders, given the same time period for both. 

Obviously not a species specific question, but you get my drift. 

What say ye?

4 mins ago, Danthe said:

It think I’d rather catch 20-3 pounders than 3-20 pounders, given the same time period for both. 

What say ye?

All different depending on the scenarios. A big minnow/killie would usually be my choice to attract the biggest fluke/flounder. Mole crabs aka sand crabs, bigger is better but not necessarily to catch bigger fish just to rig easier and to attract any fish. 

For bunker chunking, bigger bait should attract a bigger fish or shark but you’ll still catch the smooth and spiny dogfish when they gum it down to a size they can swallow. 

In a peanut or mullet run, I don’t think the size matters much within reason. Your mileage may vary. YMMV

depends on the season/timeframe and how I feel. Some days/nights I'll throw big plugs exclusively to weed out smaller fish just because I want to land the big one, knowing I may/likely get skunked. Other days/nights I just want to catch regardless of what it is or what size so I may size down and take whatever I can get. Also keep in mind what bait they are keen on at the time, sometimes small stuff is what everything wants to you end up with a nice mixed bag. 

Im mainly just happy fishing or being out on the shore/water.

Yeah, not really going that deep. Just a lame Friday question. 

“Dinks for the pan or bulls for the wall” kinda thing. 

Im a trophy doe hunter.....

I think the trophy hunting part is more related to where you fish than big or little bait. Looking for structure (soft and hard), current, white water, bars, points., inlets, canals, etc. offer more of a chance at a big fish than just tossing a 10" swimmer instead of a 3" stubby needle following a dressed 5/0 teaser hook. The needle/teaser team may just outperform the big swimmer for that trophy bass. 

I have become more of a large fish person,mainly because I don't like the idea of doing serious damage to small fish I would throw back anyway.

The down side is with the large fish now in major decline,I get skunked more the usual these days.  I have been C/R for many years and  will continue this practice probably forever.

Does it still matter if you cant catch anything anyway??

Kidding, kind of...

For Stripers in the late summer/fall I will start with a bigger presentation, large needle, plastic swim bait, Doc whatever and if I am not getting bites I will slim it down to smaller presentations. Once it gets late in the season I care less about the number and more abut the quality. That being said I dont think I have ever caught decent stripers without a little wind in my face and some turbulence so I will regularly stick with the larger baits after mid August. In the spring I will stick with smaller baits and target schoolies with the occasional larger fish. At that point though I am just happy to be out fishing, am using light tackle and want to hook into something.

I usually only target fluke and seabass and will generally stick with large presentations. 6" gulp and large jigs. I am looking to put some fish on the table at that point and dont really want to bother with smalls.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Danthe said:

What say ye?

I'm a big plug man been that way for many years, if there are masses of 3 to 5 lb fish around I'm going to still throw a big swimmer 8 to 10 inches maybe even 12 too.

Given the specific area and time of year my light Rods stay in the corner until late fall when the larger fish seems to vanish then I'll go after the smaller fish.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

3 mins ago, AClarke said:

Does it still matter if you cant catch anything anyway??

Kidding, kind of...

Good point! In my freshwater pursuits I used to always go big early. If there’s no bite, go slower and smaller. I reckon as I got older I just stayed smaller and slower and let the flat-brims beat the banks like it was an ESPN Bass O Rama 

Existing conditions dictated lure size and technique for me more so than the prevalent bait I was trying to mimic. Fish will often hit anything with aggression in rougher conditions that would require a more lifelike or subtle presentation or technique in calmer conditions. 

Slayer is right for most of the time, It's more likely a big bass will go after a big bait or plug and smaller fish will go smaller baits,but every once in a while some rat will think it will attack a 8in plug. 

I also don't want to catch schoolies any more , big a chance they will get damaged with the hooks ,even when debarbed, I can live with more skunks,I just like being on the water.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:48 AM, Danthe said:

What say ye?

Maybe 7 -7pounders:th::th: