Little

Old guy, new trick. Red dot

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Ruger 5.56 and a Ruger 9mm .

OK im old.  Never had a red dot sight, so I go buy one.  One the one hand its amazing.  On the other its a whole new way to sight.  Its not a regular sight, its not a scope.  I cant raise the gun and go straight to it like an iron sight.  Just takes time I guess.

2 Q'S

1)  I cant raise the gun and "find" the dot-it seems to take me time to stop, get my cheek set, pause, then start looking for the dot.  In old school mode, you can see those sights coming up and you know where they are headed, and you are working on the aim before the gun is even to your cheek.  Does that make sense?  Get it?

2) The 9mm has rail from your nose to the barrel, and I can put rail on the barrel if I want.  Put the sight Close to my eye or far?  Is it just personal choice?  I checked youtube and got youtube answers, which is basically everything under the sun

Try again, what say you and why?

I'm new to the gun world only this year but I've done a lot of reading and research.  So for an AR I have my red dot as far forward as I could before it gets to the hand guard.  From what I recall reading you could really put it anywhere you like.  What one did you get?  As far as fumbling a bit to find the dot I do that.  Just more practice I guess is needed. 

Don't look for the dot.  Focus on the target; the dot will be there.  It might help to turn up the brightness a bit until you get comfortable with everything.  Good luck with it.  Once you master the red dot, you'll throw rocks at everything else... :)

You need to do a lot of practice bringing the gun up fast and holding it so that you can acquire the red dot immediately. It doesn’t take much to get used to it.

On the AR are you able to co witness the dot with existing irons? I have this on mine and it's the cats arse for me.

On my handguns it just took a little to get used to finding the dot after bringing it up, after a while it becomes fast and easy acquisition of the dot.

Like GB said turn up brightness at first it will help.

16 hours ago, Little said:

Ruger 5.56 and a Ruger 9mm .

OK im old.  Never had a red dot sight, so I go buy one.  One the one hand its amazing.  On the other its a whole new way to sight.  Its not a regular sight, its not a scope.  I cant raise the gun and go straight to it like an iron sight.  Just takes time I guess.

2 Q'S

1)  I cant raise the gun and "find" the dot-it seems to take me time to stop, get my cheek set, pause, then start looking for the dot.  In old school mode, you can see those sights coming up and you know where they are headed, and you are working on the aim before the gun is even to your cheek.  Does that make sense?  Get it?

2) The 9mm has rail from your nose to the barrel, and I can put rail on the barrel if I want.  Put the sight Close to my eye or far?  Is it just personal choice?  I checked youtube and got youtube answers, which is basically everything under the sun

Try again, what say you and why?

just keep a Liberal in front of the barrel you'll find that Dot much faster ;) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't just raise the gun and look for the sights.....rather if your drawing from retention, follow the draw stroke procedure..Count 1 thru Count 4....you'll then be pushing the gun straight out in Count 4 of draw stroke and should pick up the red dot much quicker......Oh you talkin' rifle...I'm talkin handgun....sorry...omo.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

12 mins ago, big popper said:

just keep a Liberal in front of the barrel you'll find that Dot much faster ;) 

If I brought a lib to my range my membership would be revoked.

I went out last night right after I wrote this.

Something isnt right.  When I draw a pistol with a red dot on it-boom, I find it immediately.  All thoughts welcome.

1 min ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Don't just raise the gun and look for the sights.....rather if your drawing from retention, follow the draw stroke procedure..Count 1 thru Count 4....you'll then be pushing the gun straight out in Count 4 of draw stroke and should pick up the red dot much quicker.........omo.

rifle

1 min ago, Little said:

If I brought a lib to my range my membership would be revoked.

I went out last night right after I wrote this.

Something isnt right.  When I draw a pistol with a red dot on it-boom, I find it immediately.  All thoughts welcome.

i don't have any red dot's ..yet. i've shot a couple AR's with them but i did better wit the iron sites. 

1 min ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Rifle......tighter grip forearm and into the shoulder...you'll pick up the dot quicker.

close to my eye, or far "down the rail"?  Your take?

As you mentioned....personal choice....I like it some where in between / about 5 inches down so when I shoulder the rifle I see the sight coming up and automatically pick up on the dot...but that's just me.