541Wiant

Sonar help!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I posted this to the main forum unknowing that there was a boating thread, so hopefully I'm in the right place 

The inlaws are looking for a new sonar for their boat (24' Seasport XL) and asked me to help. I'm rather new to saltwater and bays, oceans, ext so I'm not sure what to do.  They currently have a eagle fish finder from the 90s. 

They mostly use it in Great South Bay, Moriches and want to get out into the ocean to do some fishing on the near shore reefs. They are looking for a reliable mid priced unit not much more than $650. A larger display with a Map/GPS to help navigate channels in the bays (the guy needs to be able to see it, I'll put Navonics on my phone and we still bottom out) . I couldn't even tell you what the difference is between sidescan and downscan are lol.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

well, pretty much everything has changed since the 90s !.

not that (they) are all that different - but i would suggest going to somewhere like a west marine or bass pro etc where they have multiple units by multiple brands they can see, play with, ask questions and see what they like best.

Edited by nicknotsebastian

I have a 7" Simrad fishfinder/GPS and I am happy with it.  It is plenty of screen for the money.  I typically use the split screen when I am fishing close to rocks.  Aids to navigation are spot on, but every prop-eating rock is not on the GPS.  You should be able to find it for less than your stated price.  

If you are getting a combo unit (you don't really have a choice these days) I'd suggest a 9" screen so you can actually see the FF and chart.  Pretty much all the big manufacturers make good reliable units.  You probably don't need to get side imaging.

sam

Agree with the Garmin!! Have the 10” screen and it’s fine in split screen mode. If you’re going to do a lot of bottom fishing look into an upgraded , through hull transducer