541Wiant

Sonar help anyone?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I know that this is most likely the wrong place to be looking for help, but I figured it's worth a shot. 

The inlaws are looking for a new sonar for their boat (24' Seasport XL) and asked me to help. I'm rather new to saltwater and bays, oceans, ext so I'm not sure what to do.  They currently have a eagle fish finder from the 90s. 

They mostly use it in Great South Bay, Moriches and want to get out into the ocean to do some fishing on the near shore reefs. They are looking for a reliable mid priced unit not much more than $650. A larger display with a Map/GPS to help navigate channels in the bays (the guy needs to be able to see it, I'll put Navonics on my phone and we still bottom out) . I couldn't even tell you what the difference is between sidescan and downscan are lol.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Watch the bass pro, Cabela's, and west marine sale flyers over the fall/winter. I've picked up a couple nice Lowrances cheap that way.

You could go with a 7 inch garmin striker. Not sure if it comes with Maps. I say 7 inch so you can run a GPS window and then a sonar window at the same time, any smaller screen may make it challenging

The bigger the screen the better for you, but that also increases cost substantially.

Side scan is great but Im not sure its something you would NEED. 

I fish out of Babylon, and so fish the same area; I use a Simrad with sidescan and downscan.  GPS and water temp is included.

But the transducers alone will cost you quite a bit more than $800.

My backup is a stand-alone Furuno LCD,  Don't know if the model is still made, but if it is, it woulld probably fall into your price range, and for some uses, including some wreck fishing purposes, I like it better than the Simrad.

I have 2 Garmins on my Whaler.  An Echomap 64CV (not touchscreen, 6" display, downscan sonar, GPS, water temp) and an Echomap 94CV (Touchscreen, 9" display, downscan and sidescan).  Both have the same Garmin built in maps, both came with transducers.

If I could only have 1, it would be the 94CV.  Does everything the smaller one does, plus the screen real estate is much larger.  Sidescan is pretty cool.  I like the quick access buttons on right so I can switch between nav, sonar, gauges, you assign anything with those quick access buttons.  The smaller one I need to use menu buttons.

You got to pay to play with screen size, gets expensive quick.  For a single standalone unit I think the Lowrance or Humminbird options are pretty good.  I've just always owned Garmins so that's why I stayed in family.

I also hooked mine up to NMEA2000 network with my engine.  I tell it how much fuel is onboard and it figures out my MPG, range and fuel left.  This is very important to me as I go way further offshore than most people would think is sane on a 17'

20210522_063454.jpg.ff7594aacd0db6726ef3a781b5b56756.jpg

Capture1.thumb.PNG.d358889d903da5303bb40ecd3495c4a3.PNG

20201014_084618.jpg.b38d0e8f382861163a17203655a4a09d.jpg