NMurray

What happens when your reel is run over

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Not much if it’s a Van Staal!

A1CB80CB-6730-4FAF-82E3-79C9BBED154E.jpeg.e98f5bea33e96cf69c64b189d4247a9b.jpeg4ABB5765-3A0C-4755-A521-8E2681C89DD6.jpeg.f42599514e79e98a923b4d66a82afdf0.jpegF5E9EDA1-9B8A-4985-BA03-D13D7C1F5FC9.jpeg.36d9d0f93f423cec3e13339a63db6e5a.jpeg

 

I was on vacation in cape cod the other  week.  I was excited to head out to fish in the remnants of the hurricane and left the house after dinner without securing my rod to the roof. I got up to speed on route 6 when I heard it fall and I knew what it was immediately. I pulled over quick and  ran back to retrieve it but not before two cars ran it over. The rod is toast and the knob had busted off the handle which was a little bent. The bail was also bent but everything still seemed to turn fine. I dropped it off at Saltwater edge on my way home and with less than a week they had it back to me with a new knob and bail assembly and just a bit of road rash on the rotor. She’ll live to flight a few more fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NMurray said:

Not much if it’s a Van Staal!

A1CB80CB-6730-4FAF-82E3-79C9BBED154E.jpeg.e98f5bea33e96cf69c64b189d4247a9b.jpeg4ABB5765-3A0C-4755-A521-8E2681C89DD6.jpeg.f42599514e79e98a923b4d66a82afdf0.jpegF5E9EDA1-9B8A-4985-BA03-D13D7C1F5FC9.jpeg.36d9d0f93f423cec3e13339a63db6e5a.jpeg

 

I was on vacation in cape cod the other  week.  I was excited to head out to fish in the remnants of the hurricane and left the house after dinner without securing my rod to the roof. I got up to speed on route 6 when I heard it fall and I knew what it was immediately. I pulled over quick and  ran back to retrieve it but not before two cars ran it over. The rod is toast and the knob had busted off the handle which was a little bent. The bail was also bent but everything still seemed to turn fine. I dropped it off at Saltwater edge on my way home and with less than a week they had it back to me with a new knob and bail assembly and just a bit of road rash on the rotor. She’ll live to flight a few more fish. 

Wow that's a hell of a story, that all is good with it though now.

 

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if your Allstate Policy would cover the incident????  A little straightening to the rotor and buff out with a Dremel you'll never know it happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, prican1 said:

You lucked out bro, I'm pretty sure you will be securing your rods from now on with a lock & chain... 

ordered a roof rack as soon as I got home. 

15 hours ago, MikeK said:

Cool to see the VS make it through your torture test.  What type of rod did u blow up?  Hope yiu had a backup setup for your vaca.

The ODM DNA did not hold up as well. 21FC0B07-0A37-4ECF-B2B7-C3096D07764F.jpeg.6b6ca6435345e81c3fb1c59e921aad5e.jpeg

I had four rods w me but I was so depressed when I got home I just went right to sleep. 
 

9 hours ago, XBMX said:

Wonder if your Allstate Policy would cover the incident????  A little straightening to the rotor and buff out with a Dremel you'll never know it happened.

I’ve got comprehensive but I doubt it’s that comprehensive. I took a file to the burs on the edge of the rotor. Other than that I’m gonna leave it. Gives it character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, XBMX said:

Wonder if your Allstate Policy would cover the incident????  A little straightening to the rotor and buff out with a Dremel you'll never know it happened.

Sorry, my attempt at humor.  I'm with you re the character, bet it becomes your favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NMurray said:

ordered a roof rack as soon as I got home. 

The ODM DNA did not hold up as well. 21FC0B07-0A37-4ECF-B2B7-C3096D07764F.jpeg.6b6ca6435345e81c3fb1c59e921aad5e.jpeg

 

What were you using to put the rods on the roof before you ordered the roof rack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NMurray said:

ordered a roof rack as soon as I got home. 

The ODM DNA did not hold up as well. 21FC0B07-0A37-4ECF-B2B7-C3096D07764F.jpeg.6b6ca6435345e81c3fb1c59e921aad5e.jpeg

 

 

No roof rack?  HOw'd you fasten them?

 

That ODM will clean up fine.  I have some tools, epoxy, thread... it'll be fine.  It'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.